TiBook AC adapter problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by alex_ant, Feb 23, 2003.

1. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I have a rev B TiBook that uses the white square power adapter (the one that replaced the clear plastic puck adapter). The DC connector (on the end that attaches to the TiBook) seems to be getting flaky. Whenever I wiggle it (either the silver connector or the gray cable near the connector), or move the 'Book, the green LED light inside of it will flicker on and off, indicating a poor and intermittent electrical connection to the TiBook. Whenever the light is not on, the TiBook switches over to battery power. Sometimes I will have the TiBook in my lap and make a very slight movement and the power adapter will lose connection, draining the battery down to 90% without me noticing. The adapter's warranty is expired. Is there anything I can do to fix it myself? If not, does anyone know of the cheapest place to buy these things? Can I buy one used?

Also, is the puck adapter compatible with rev B TiBooks? It seems to be cheaper.

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    open it up and get your soldering iron out. fix the loose connection... or but a new one.

and no- the puck has a different size connector. think .33 vs. .50 caliber bullets.

3. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

There are 2 versions of the puck I think... one for the PowerBook G3s and iBooks and the one that shipped with the rev A G4s with the smaller connector.

I don't have a soldering iron and I don't know how to open this thing up. :)

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yes there are two different Yo-Yo (puck) AC adapters. The old ones were for iBooks and have a greenish cable, which because it was designed poorly the wire that goes to the outlet if bent burns the inside and sparks. Because of that I had to buy the newer wire (not ac adapter) Now my AC adapter's plug that goes into thr iBook sparked (wire is wiggly) So I use a newer one. If you use the yo-yo AC adapters be careful, they might have fixed the problem but who knows. I'll post a pic between the new and old AC cords later, hope I helped...

5. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Was the AC cord on the puck adapter detachable? Is it a proprietary AC cord? I've heard about the poor design of the puck, but maybe it's fixed. If I buy one new, I think it comes with a one-year warranty. The only reason I'm interested in the puck over the brick is because it looks cooler, it's $20 cheaper than the brick, and I'm poor like a fox.

Thanks for the info...

6. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yes the detachable cord is designed poorly, if you buy one and the detachable cable is white you don't have a problem, but if it is greenish then go to www.pbparts.com and buy a white cable for $20, so maybe you might end up paying the same thing. See I had an AC adapter (ibook yo-yo) and teh wire was green, I noticed that it sparked. So my dad called apple. They didnt do anything until my dad said it shocked me. (really it didnt but i needed a new wire) So while we waited for the package to get here I used an old CD/Boombox cord. Finaly the package came and all there was in the box was the AC Adapter, not the cord which was all I wanted. So instead of returning it I kept it. My dad wraped duct tape around the old green wire and it was ok. So then when I saw the white wire on www.pbparts.com (under iBook) I bought it. The AC adapter cord started to spark so I now use the one that apple sent us. Now I found a snall ridge/cut in teh wire so that has duck tape. I have great luck don't I? :D:p

7. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Thank you very much. Your information has been most helpful :)

8. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86