TiBook/AluBook Firmware Question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by withnail, Feb 16, 2003.

1. withnail macrumors regular

I am a poised switcher waiting to (hopefully) buy a TiBook this week. Protestations about how I should wait for the 15" Aluminum PB because it will almost certainly have [insert new feature here] aside, I was wondering if I should think twice because of the firmware...or maybe I'm, terming that incorrectly:

As I understand it, some of the older (beige Power Mac G3s, some iMacs) machines require some partitioning hocus pocus in order to install OS X. My assumption is that this is because of the firmware/mobo/logic board. Am I wrong here?

My ultimate question/concern is whether something about the architecture of the new PBs is somehow an improvement over the TiBook's (FW800, Ultra100, etc. nonwithstanding). If the only difference between the new/old architecture is the (in)ability to boot into 9, i'm okay with that. But I don't want to miss out on some feature or not be able to upgrade to a future OS release because of this. (Yeah, I realize it will inevitably happen someday.)

Again, realize I don't actually *own* an Apple yet, and all this is conjecture based on stuff I've heard/read - so if I don't have a clue, tell me so! :)

2. Bear macrumors G3

I think if you get a current model TiBook, then you'll be able to use it for many years.

The only limitation might be (but I doubt it) is 128GB on the internal harddrive. Anything connected via FireWire or USB will be fine. Of course a firewire drive will be much faster.

The current TiBooks have more than enough video RAM even if you do use a dual monitor setup with it.

It's your computer, and your choice. Unless they actually put a faster processor in the 15" (I doubt it based on the speed of the 17" but I could be wrong.) you can't really go wrong with the TiBook. Unless you want the backlit keyboard (which may or may not be on the 15" AlBook when it is announced.) Also there is the wireless speeds if you care about that.

3. moby1 macrumors 6502

Partitioning & OS X

I just wanted to make this clearer for you and others without Mac OS X experience.

You can easily install Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 on the same partition. In fact, this is now the default as the newer PowerBooks do not have a seperate install disk for OS 9 - it's simply included as part of the OS X insall (but can be choosen individually from a menu option).

However, I do like to partition my drive and put OS X and OS 9 on seperate patitions. Advantages of this are better disaster recovery, easier & faster disk defragmentation and possible performance increases. The disadvantages are tha it's more work to set up and you're stuck with what you set up unless you format the drive and start over.

moby1

4. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

The new 15" will definately sport the new Aluminum battle armor. the bus speed will most likely be bumped up to use the 333 DDR ram like the 17". Will be able to use airport extreme, and supposedly a more advanced screen.

Hope this helps you out, Apple should just put the current 15" on clearance cause they are having trouble getting it to go out the door. I would wait, it should be worth it and well stocked by the time it arrives.