TiBOOK: Battery charging [...for how long should

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sphereboy, May 13, 2002.

1. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

How long does it take to charge up a drained battery? on a TiBook.

2. sphereboy thread starter macrumors 6502

sphereboy

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its only taken me a few hours, say 3-4. I've not watched very carefully, but it seems that if I have a dead battery when I get to work and plug in the TiPB, by Lunch its fully charged.

Performance may vary, though. It would depend on the age of the battery.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you are not using it, it should charge within a few hours (tops). If you are using it heavily, it could take longer. I never really timed mine, but I do know that it doesn't take all that long. Apple does say to let it charge longer the first time you plug it in (to help condition the battery). You should also leave it plugged in about 24 hours or more at least once within the first few weeks of getting the TiBook (to fully charge the PMU battery).

5. Choppaface macrumors 65816

how long does it last during heavy use? like say you wanted to edit 200 photoshop files.....?

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

thanks for that tip about the battery AlphaTech. i'll have to make sure i leave it on tonight. you don't have to leave the whole TiBook turned on do you? i'm just going to put it to sleep and leave it plugged in at the wall.

i was also wondering about fully draining the battery. i read some place that you should not do that. is this true? will it shorten the battery life if you fully drain it?

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: TiBOOK: Battery charging [...for how long should

I just ran my battery down to 1%, and it's now charged back up to 10% and saying that it will be 1 hour and 49 minutes until it's completely charged. So that would mean less time to charge the battery than to deplete it. This is on a rev B (550MHz) TiBook - the others may vary, but 2 to 2.5 hours seems like a good approximation.

Alex

8. iGav macrumors G3

Never had to edit 200 PS files on one battery so I couldn't say... but I've had the battery last alot less than 2 hours when I've been doing DV compositing.......

But I've almost had 5 hours on a charge as well when I've just been doing coding...... :)

Buy another battery though if you travel alot, I bought one, and properly conditioned it as per Apples instructions, and this battery is alot better than the original one....... :D

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Apple has instructions for conditioning batteries? i didn't see anything about this when i got my TiBook. i just got it on Tuesday, so i still might be able to do something to condition the battery. can anyone post a link to the full Apple battery conditioning guide?

10. iGav macrumors G3

Calibrating Your Battery....... it should be in the Powerbook Instruction book.....

Basically do this....

1: Charge the battery until it is fully charged.....

2: disconnect the power adapter and use the Powerbook until you see the first low battery warning.

3: Connect the power adaptor and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

Important: You only have to fully discharge and then charge your battery once to calibrate it. After that you can connect and disconnect the power adapter when the battery is at any charge level........

Well that's what my TiBook book says anyway......

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I leave mine powered off when I am not using it, or home. I almost always leave it plugged in when off. I also make sure that it is plugged into a good quality surge protector at home, and run off of battery power when there are severe thunderbumpers in the area. With the airport card, I can be wireless and online until the power fails. :D

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Did you read the papers that came with it??? I believe that there is something in there about it. If not, then it must have been when I was going through the study material for the portables exam.

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yep, there it is in the manual. perhaps i should read the rest of the manual before i do any damage.

the manual says that you should charge it and then use it on the battery, and discharge it to the first low battery warning. does this mean that you should discharge it to the very first battery warning, or discharge it until it is completely flat or on 1%?

14. iGav macrumors G3

That's exactly what my post said... a couple of posts up.... :)

The TiBook sleeps before it goes completely flat..... so...... when you are down to the last few minutes, a warning will flash on your screen and tell you that your machine will go to sleep in a couple of minutes, that's the time to recharge......

Doubt you've done any damage though...... although I'm not sure how much difference in run time you'll get if you don't calibrate as per Apples instructions....

As long as you charged it up fully when new, you should be okay..... :D ;)

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I ran my battery down last night. It gave a warning at about 8%, and then just went to sleep after it passed 1%. After I plugged it in, and move the mouse, it came back up and read 0% charge in the battery. It was fully charged within a couple of hours. I'll probably do this every so often (when I can remember to), which would be a good thing.