TiBook Buying Help, please!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TiMacLover, Aug 3, 2002.

1. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

Ok I need a laptop next year for school, I just got some money and I want to know what I should get, I like Tibooks betters cause the feel and look, iBooks just are weird to me. now about Tibooks. I wanted a Ti550 cause the upgraded 16Mb video card, but my friend said to get a G4500 cause those had L3 cache that make them faster but that model has only 8Mb VRAM, then I heard somewhere that Quartz now built into JagWire needs more video memory than 8Mb to run well, so what should I go for?

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

hehe....go buy the most expensive one at apple...remember to get the educational price...that will drop the price quite a bit....:D

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Re: TiBook Buying Help, please!

If you are looking for a Powerbook with L3 cache go for the 667 or the 800, the 550 didn't have it. The new 667 and 800 both have 16mb of VRAM.

Just a small question, why do people call Jaguar JagWire?

Ensign

4. TiMacLover thread starter macrumors 6502

New Ti's are way out of my range of buying a laptop, so really its down to buying a 550 or a 500. Jobs said it was JagWire not jaguar so I belive him since he the prophet of the world, well atleast to me, so I think he would be right.

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: TiBook Buying Help, please!

Not quite... the 667 and 800 models are the FIRST with the L3 cache, and they have a 32MB Mobile Radeon 7500 video card (also a first for a Mac laptop).

If you want a powerful laptop that will keep you happy for more then a year, get the 800MHz DVI model.

You can see all the spec's for the new TiBook can be found here.

If you must get an older TiBook, then get the previous model (rev. b)667MHz.

Have you checked the education discount for the new TiBooks??

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

People seem to think that Jobs spelled it jagwire, when EVERY valid reference (like from Apple) calls it Jaguar. Look at the very first paragraph on the OS X web site. :rolleyes: :p

7. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I mess up, I meant the new ones had 32 not 16 of VRAM but the L3 Cache is only available on the new 667 and 800.

Steve does pronounce it Jaguyer but it is spelt Jaguar, I wonder if he owns a Jagwire XK8?

Ensign

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Maybe the reality distortion field around SJ is making it SOUND like that is what he is saying... or it could just be a speach impediment... :p :D

9. railthinner macrumors regular

I have to throw in on the whole Jaguar thing. A friend of mine pronounces hill as HEEL and wolf as WOOF. He's extremely intelligent and well educated, sometimes people get bizarre pronunciations (and spellings) lodged in their brains. Listen to the rest of the population more closely--particularly those who come from a different part of the country than you. Nebraska or Boston? Big difference. Jaguar is Jaguar period. Mr. Jobs pronounces it WEERD. leave it at that.

Ah-ieeght? (alright?)

I pronounce theatre THEE-ATE-ER. what do you do? listen to yourself.

10. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I think tomorrow (Sunday) I might pop down into town and visit a Jag dealership and ask to sit in a Jagwire XK8, I wont what he/she will say :)

Ensign

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Isn't that the Shaguar dealership?? :D

12. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Re: Re: TiBook Buying Help, please!

it's just a pronunciation difference that people took too literally

toe-mae-toe = toe-mah-toe

see the difference?

13. TiMacLover thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I think I will need the G4 power for the main class I need this which is Oracle Internet Academy. We are programing Java, PHP, and My SQL stuff. So I will be running Java stuff like WebObjects and such. Now I looked and compared specs on the Ti500 and Ti550. The Ti500 has 1Mb L2 Cache and the Ti550 has only @56k L2 Cache. Now is a 1Mb L2 Cache better than 50Mhz more with a 16Mb Video Card?

The Tibook 667+ are all too high for me I have about $1300 to blow :-/

14. TiMacLover thread starter macrumors 6502

* Requirements:
    Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti or any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required

So Thats what it says on the Quartz Extreme webpage on apple.com, so I think we are all screwed unless we give into large Apple pricing. But whats weird my friend had a Powerbook Pismo 400 running 10.2 from WWDC nad it was ok when I was on it.

15. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

buy an ibook. the 700mhz ibook is 1449 with edu discount. and will be faster than any of the old powerbooks.

16. TiMacLover thread starter macrumors 6502

Quote from a Apple Tech: "10.2 will run on all TiBooks. Just the older ones with lower rated graphics cards will not be able to take advantage of Quartz Extreme. Even without QE acceleration, 10.2 is still going to be a vast improvement over 10.1x. on all X compatible computers. "

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Useful, but not precise. Those with 8MB video will not make use of Quartz Extreme. Those with 16MB will make use of portions, and 32MB will be fully functional.

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Actually, if you re-read what I wrote, I never said it will use QE on the older TiBook... I just said it would run 10.2.

Any with a Radeon (or better) video card (or those listed on Apple's site to meet the spec's for 10.2) will take advantage of QE.