TiBook Case Troubles

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lushbudget, Jan 2, 2005.

1. lushbudget macrumors newbie

I have a 867Mhz TiBook that is about 15 months old. 5 months ago I dropped it and all hell broke loose. The hinges broke, the screen cracked, the bottom case popped open, the power supply jack cracked, and the battery tabs snapped off. It was a bummer.
    Fortunately I had a full-coverage warranty from CompUSA called TAP. They repaired the 'book - although it did take almost 2 months to complete. They replaced the screen, the power jack, the lower case, the combo drive, the hinges, and several internal parts associated with the display. They did leave a couple of cosmetic things undone, like the "PowerBook G4" stencil that is on the screen above the keyboard is gone, and they Kensington lock is now just an empty slot. They also left out the button that releases PCMIA cards from the card slot, and the screen's paint is NOT the exact same color (it has a sort of sparkle to it) that was originally there - But, I gotta say that for having destroyed my TiBook with a single drop onto a cement floor - and I was certain that I would have to get a new one - they did a pretty good job of bringing her back to life, and I didn't have to pay any extra for it. OK, but there is a problem (thus this post)

The bottom case - the palm-rest/trackpad part - that used to be so sturdy when I rest my palms on it to type now recesses in the corner above the combo drive. The rest of the case is tight, but that one section squishes in, and it worries me when I have a disc in the drive. They must have left some part out, but I don't know what part it is, or how to fix it.

Will having that bit of play in my case affect disc usage in my combo drive? Would replacing the combo drive provide the parts needed to support the palmrest? Is there something else I can do to support the case from underneath so that my palmrest is tight all the way around? Any suggestions? Or is this just something I should live with?

Thanks
    lushbudget
    :confused:

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Drop it again and see if they fix it. Repeat until fixed. :p

I don't think it will effect your drive usage, if it isn't coming into contact with the drive itself. The vibration it absorbs might even be good. ~shrug~

3. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

You can try to track down the service manual and see if a screw is missing or so ..

4. tralfam macrumors newbie

Like this?

I didn't drop it, one day it just sh*t the bed and busted open. This is my work laptop and is no longer under warranty. Still works okay, just have to be really careful about closing/opening the lid.

Attached Files:

5. lushbudget thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope - I'm talking about the lower case, the part that surrounds the keyboard - the section to the right of the trackpad has no support beneath it so it pushes down over the optical drive when I rest my palms on it.

Where can I find the service manual?

6. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

7. lushbudget thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I'll look @ the service manual and see what I can learn.

I guess I could just take it to CompUSA and pitch a fit since it's still under warranty, but I don't want to be without my computer for another 2 months while they tinker with it.

I'll post here what I learn.

Thanks again!