TiBook Display Problem...Suggestions?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Collin973, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Collin973 macrumors 6502

Hey there,

I just received my 15" Titanium Powerbook (1ghz, 512mb) and when I move the screen back or forward, the screen goes almost white with what look like dirty spots and when I move it to another position the desktop usually reappears.

Does any one know what is causing this? Maybe a loose cable? The ebay auction mentioned nothing about the screen being a little funky. I'm thinking something might have rattled loose while on its trip. Other than the white screen problem ,everything else works great and when the display is in a good position, it's perfect.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for me.

Thanks!!

2. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Had the same problem. I fixed it by selling it.

3. Collin973 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha. Nice fix. I'd like to fix it, if possible. I could live with it, but I don't really want to. How much did you sell yours for?

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

It's most likely the inverter cable getting pinched in the hinges. YOu'll probably have to open it up and move them, or maybe even replace them if it's the whole inverter board that's dying.

You can go to ifixit.com and they have take-apart guides for your computer.

5. Collin973 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I took the hinges off and opened up the bottom. I checked the cables, behind the hinges, jiggled them and they didnt do anything. I can't narrow down anything. I unplugged and plugged the cables connected to the display in, but nothing.

I have noticed that it seems to "go white" more often when the AC power is plugged in. I have a feeling it's heat related because the display does not "go white" when it is first turned on and has not been run in a while, but once its been on and running, it tends to go white out of no wear.

ifixit didn't really help because I don't know what's wrong with it.

If any one has any tips or suggestion for me, I'd appreciate it.

I can't post pics of the problem because I didn't bring the right cable, but when I get home I'll post them. This screen problem is really annoying and I'd like to get it fixed. I may end up stopping by the Apple Store in Las Vegas before I go home, but I'd rather not.

Thanks,
    --Collin

6. jouster macrumors 65816

Screen probs in TiBooks tend to result in Apple Store quotes that are higher than the computer's value.

Westfarms, CT quoted me $1700 for a complete screen replacement for a TiBook 400 that *might* scrape $300 together on ebay.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I did however get my Titanium Powerbook repaired by Apple (its in the shop right now). I ended up figuring that my video problem was on the video card, so its costing me $330 to replace the motherboard.

8. Collin973 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, to add to my chronicles, I believe the screen problem is based on the outside temperature of the machine. The two times I had a terrible time with the screen were when: 1.) it first arrived. (It was sitting in the back of a pick up truck waiting to be delivered in high 80 degree temperatures) and 2.) When I was using it in our rented house boat with an internal temperature of 95 degrees. Any little bump would change the screen to that dirty white. On our way back to Las Vegas, the car was about 72 degrees and I used the laptop for about three hours with NO SCREEN PROBLEMS. The roads weren't great either. Weird, huh? So here is what I'm thinking is the problem: I think one of the internal cooling fans isn't working (the one right next to the DC inverter board). Does any one know how I can check if it works and/or replace it and where to find a replacement?

Also, does any one know a program/widget that will show me the internal temperatures of the computer? iStat pro and nano aren't able to.