Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mattpol, Nov 29, 2002.

1. mattpol macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2002
    New York, NY
    I got my TiBook G4 (800MHz) in July of this year. THe other day I noticed a pixel had already burnt out.

How can I fix this, it's not a major flaw, but it jsut really bothers me!

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Check with apple they are good with those things. :)
  3. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2002
  4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    One dead pixel is not nearly enough to meet the standards required to get a replacement based on display defects. Try gently rubbing the area. That sometimes works. What color is the pixel?
  5. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2002
    Notre Dame
    on my 17" iMac screen, there is a retarded pixel. its fine most of the time, but up against a black background, it turns blue. enough to get annoying, but i got used to it. chances are you'll get used to your dead pixel, i think you're stuck with it, there's nothing apple will do if it's only one.
  6. j763 macrumors 6502a

Nov 25, 2001
    Champaign, IL, USA
    With AppleCare, I got mine replaced because of one dead pixel.

Normally if you buy AppleCare, they're more inclined to fix that kind of stuff.
  7. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    yeah, you should try giving it a bit of a massage...
  8. mattpol thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2002
    New York, NY
    the pixel is black...

9. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2002
    Return of the Living Dead... Pixels...

Apple makes it clear in the documentation that came with your Powerbook that a certain number of dead pixels is considered acceptable, and there are literally millions of the little suckers. The rubbing thing can work, but I'd say be very careful, the "gently" thing is the key, and voiding your warranty is not a good idea. Check with Apple if you just bought it for a clear ruling and the go ahead on the rub down.

If I remember correctly, I've seen posts here that say that up to 6 or 9 is ok. The big thing to consider of course is that if apple replaced all the one-dead pixel screens that came off the assembly line, Powerbooks would be at least 15 thousand dollars a piece.

Apple's Powerbook LCD displays use addressable pixels. The pixels are composed of subpixels (one Red, one Green and one Blue for RGB).

Any one of the transistors that turn on each of the red, green and blue pixels can be faulty, resulting in an off color. You mentioned you have a black pixel. I'd be sure to verify that by putting the pixel(s) over various colored backgrounds, red, green, blue etc.

Each subpixel has a corresponding transistor responsible for turning the subpixel on/off.

If one of the transistors to the red, green and blue pixels does not function it can represent as dark (a black pixel as you mentioned).

Detailed information can be found at Apple on what to do from Apple Technical Document 22194.

And remember, this isn't just an Apple display thing, it's everywhere. Powerbooks are actually much better where this kind of thing is concerned compared to non-Apple displays.

10. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Re: Return of the Living Dead... Pixels...

That is sooo true. I am a switcher. In the PC circles I travelled, no one talked about dead pixels. And if they were mentioned, one pixel was a good thing. :) But that is why you probably bought a Mac. :D
  11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Kick the screen, :D
    No, try lightly pressing and everything.
    I know my iMac is dieing cause lets say every 5 minutes the screen flashes.

Yup they puppy is on its way out.
    Besides that I'm getting a new comp I'm gonna mod this with lights and overclocking. (233 Bondi Blue) ;)
  12. DeKa macrumors member

Sep 13, 2002
    Sydney Australia
    massage the pixel using the soft grey cloth that came with your Mac. I did it with my 17" iMac and it fixed my one pixel that was stuck on red.

Yay! :D

Massage it gently in circles. You don't push too hard... just enough so the screen changes colour as you touch it.