Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
houston
ok, this just started happening today and i cant figure out why!

my computer is running HOT, like toaster oven hot. the bottom and back near the screen are too hot to touch for long. the fan IS running...i can hear it and usually i cant.

Also, the battery life after fully charged and with screen brightness at half is only about 1:50!

im not running much in the background. Just iChat, Mozzila for my westlaw browsing and my cisco VPN software.

Till today i frequently ran much more than this and never have had so short a battery life and have never before had my computer run this hot except when it was running folding for a long period. And the CPU monitor is staying below 1/4 most of the time...

Whats up!?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Is this in OS X? Have you tried using it in OS 9 for a while? If it happens in both OS 9 and OS X then you know it's probably a hardware problem. Could be the machine has gotten a bump or jolt or something and the heat sink is no longer properly seated. Or, if it's a software problem, maybe there is some hidden process that isn't showing up in the CPU meter that is consuming more CPU than it should. Those are the only things I can think of...

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
houston
well i turned my computer completely off over night and after about 5 minutes back on running just word and safari its really hot again.

guess its not some background program running up the CPU.

how would one tell if the heat sink had some how become unseated? i think that must be whats going on because even the top part of my keyboard is noticably warm.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
the only way to tell if your heatsink is unseated is if you opened up the computer. Unless you're sure of what you're doing, I wouldn't suggest it. Take it to the nearest Apple retailer and get them to check it out.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
to check processes running (OS X), just in case:

open a terminal session

# ps aux

that will lost all processes running, yours and root. (you don't actually type the #)

# kill 1234

that will kill process id number 1234. kill anything that is a seperate program that you did not start, that isn't system related (extra IE session or something). if you are unsure of the process, do a goodle search for it.

good luck :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by yzedf
that will kill process id number 1234. kill anything that is a seperate program that you did not start, that isn't system related (extra IE session or something). if you are unsure of the process, do a goodle search for it.

good luck :)
However, if you don't know what processes are system related, then don't do this. You kill the wrong thing, you could have problems..if they show up right away, you can reboot. But if they show up in the middle of working on something, you could lose your work if you're not lucky.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
houston
well i really AM running nothing according to the terminal. i certainly cant be running my CPU much above 15% for any length of time.

guess its time to take it in to someone b4 it cooks itself :mad:

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
try removing the battery and see if that is causing the heat. flawed batteries used to have major heat problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.