Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
I was on the apple web page again staring at the TiBook waiting for mine to arrive while I noticed something strange:

It says in the specs when you click on BUY:

800MHz PowerPC G4
1MB L3 & 256K L2 cache

Why does it say 1MB L3 "AND" 256K L2 cache?

Why are there two cache thingies??

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
sorry, i don't really know what the caches are for. of the limited amount of info i know about caches, here is what i can tell you: i think that the caches store data that is coming from the processer to RAM and/or visa versa. i'm not really sure about any of this but i think that when one cache is full the data goes to the next cache.
i'm not sure about this either, but i think that the caches are refreshed at every clock cycle. hope this helped.

here's a good site to have a look at if you're wondering about hardware and how a computer works in general: Ars Technica
sorry i didn't have time to check if they had anythng on caches, but you should find something interesting there.:)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
To correct myself, I meant L3 cache. That dang shift key...

You know, this reminds me of an article for why PCs runs slowly. If I am not mistaken, I think that because PCs have such a small L1 cache (maybe only 8k) small chunks of data can be carried about the computer. I do not have that source on me at the moment. I know that it is a very long web page.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.