Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeoLab8000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
Hello:

I am going to be a college student come August and am wondering which laptop to purchase. I currently do a lot of web and graphic design for work, so I need something with ample power to run Photoshop. (I use a G4/533 desktop at home and it does fine, if that is a fair point of reference.)

I am debating whether I should purchase an iBook/600 for $1500 or go the TiBook route, perhaps a 550 or so, for around $2000. How much would the G4 processor help? Would the iBook be too slow for my needs?

One other observation I have made while at my company is how poorly made the Ti's seem to be. Their architecture appears far less rugged/durable than the iBooks. What do you think? Also, the AirPort range seems to be incredibly better on the iBooks I have used. True or not? Finally, it also seems that the iBook has a brighter, clearer display. Is it just me again...or...?

Any and ALL advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Stephen Dewart
BeoLab8000@aol.com

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I'd say the TiBook..... although I think you'd be better off paying the extra $ and getting the current models though.....

Particularly if you're a graphic designer, and web designer, pretty much all the design packages are Altivec aware, so this is one area with where the G4 has an unanswerable boom..... coupled to the level 3 cache...... and the 15"2 widescreen..... you end up with a serious graphics laptop......

Remember also that the OSX is Altivec aware too, so a current 667 TiBook will knock a 700 iBook intouch with the same ram etc........, and it'll get even faster when you start using Altivec aware software (pretty much all of adobes software etc.)

Build quality was an issues on rev a TiBooks (I own one, but mine is fine and excellent though), I'd guess that all the early problems have been ironed out now though, although the iBook is probably more durable in day to day living, the problem with the TiBook is that it scratches very, very easily......... and is very noticable once it's scratched....... the iBook, does scratch easily..... (mine friends looks like it's been sanded......) although with plastic it's not as noticeable...... but again, you need to really look after them both.... there's nothing worse than a knackered looking laptop.... get a decent case, and a felt sleeve to slip the beauty into... and you'll be fine........

As far as I know with regards to Airport range, a spokesperson for Apple said that this issues has been fixed....... although I'm sure owners of the newer models will be able to tell you if this is the case...... and the screen on the TiBook is new, with a much higher resolution, (I'm sure Alphatech will be able to really explain the new screen quality on the TiBook, in comparison to the first version as he's owned both a rev a and a rev c) and from what I've heard, the screen is much, much brighter than the original TiBook...... but don't forget 15"2 is a very nice size on a laptop.... again the iBook suffers here for lack of space......
With regards to price, sure the TiBook is more expensive, but when it comes to powerusers, and creative professionals the current TiBook has the iBook licked.... and will have a much longer useable life........

So I'd suggest if the budget allows, and you're serious about your creative work... the TiBook is really the only option........

And in my opinion the TiBook is far cooler looking...... :p always a big thing with designers..... :D

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
i think the first thing you need to do is look at the apple store, the prices and specs you are quoting dont make sense. the ibook is $1149 or $1449, and the powerbook is $2349 or $3007. for the powerbook you mentioned a 550? are you thinking of buying used? if so $2000 is a bad price compared to what you could get new. also if you are looking at a sued ibook for $1500... way over priced, brand new ones arent that much.

for a web designer the ibook will be fast enough for you. and the new machines are truly kickass. now is a great time to buy either machine too. the freebies being given out now by apple and others are nice and are well worth over $200 in most cases.

the only thing i woudl be worried about is screen space. the powerbook will give it to you but at what cost? if you have 3k to spend sure go for the powerbook but i think you will be please with the ibook's speed and ruggedness.

the powerbooks are by no means fragile, but the ibook is a very durable machine. truly something you can toss in your backback walk around with all day and not worry about.

the brightness of screens shouldnt be an issue, i would guess you are looking at old machines. i think you will be pleased when taking a look at the new ones. take a trip to your campus computer store and play a little.

airport distance shouldnt be an issue with new machines either. although the ibook will always get a little more the new powerbooks are very capable, and do not suffer the severe handycap of the rev a models.

i would suggest going for the ibook, but i must admit if it was me id go for the powerbook (but im not the brightest). the ibook will be more than enough machine for you and will be a delight to use after your old powermac. also it would be nice to keep some cash in your pocket. the big thing the powerbook has going for it that i think you would like is screen realestate. but you need to ask yourself if that huge screen is worth that extra dough to you. before you settle on either get on over to your campus computer store and play with the machines side by side. both will impress you im sure, but if you are expecting the ibook to be too slow for anything i have a feeling it will REALLY surprise you.

like i said now is a great time to buy, apple has some great deals for you and resellers are giving away just about anything to move ibooks.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
As a student, go for the 12.1 inch iBook. That is the best way to go period. Here is why.

1st. The size. The iBook is perfect for school. It is durable, comfortable, and has a great design that will make the ladies take notice :cool:

2nd. A TiBook going through college would look like a disaster in about one year. The Ti is going to run hotter while pounding out those papers, and it is far more expensive.

3rd. The new iBook has the Sahara IBM G3, and the sucker is fast, real fast. So to do the stuff that you are going to do, no, you will not see that big of a difference between the G4, and G3.

4th. Take the money you save, and buy a nice external drive to run VPC on, or better yet, get Office, VPC, Photoshop, carrying case, or an external monitor so that when you play quake, you can enjoy it.

Answer: iBook, everyday of the week, and twice on Sunday's. :p

I say this as an owner of one.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
For any kind of design work, get the TiBook... The G4 processor will do much better and the computer's long term use will be better then an iBook. The iBook is fine for normal use, but if you intend to do any kind of photoshop work, go with a G4 chip.

Hey AmbitiousLemon... the regular Apple Store has the TiBook for either $2499, $3199, or $3,799. I'm not going to bother looking at the iBook, since I really think the TiBook will be a better system.

Check out http://www.computerloft.com to see if they can get you a better price on the laptop. Since you are going to college, I would suggest trying to get it via the education store, if you can. If not, then you will have to go the retail route.

I have the 800MHz TiBook, and let me tell you something... it SCREAMS!!! IF you can wait until MWNY (about a month away now), do so. They COULD be releasing faster laptops then, and if they do, you will be kicking yourself if you get one now. Get at least 512MB of memory (standard issue on the 800MHz TiBook) and more if you can swing it. You can always increase the memory later (up to 1GB).

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
go for the TiBook

I am also a student and I owned a g4 450 and I bought an iBook 500 and my g4 was much more powerful than my iBook. I would say go with the TiBook because it will last you much longer than the iBook will.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by AlphaTech
IF you can wait until MWNY (about a month away now), do so. They COULD be releasing faster laptops then, and if they do, you will be kicking yourself if you get one now.

Now Alpha, why would you say that to the young lad. You know they will not update the line after only one month!

Shame on you :D

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Re: go for the TiBook

Originally posted by jermsmingy
I am also a student and I owned a g4 450 and I bought an iBook 500 and my g4 was much more powerful than my iBook. I would say go with the TiBook because it will last you much longer than the iBook will.

Man, there is a reason for that, it is because the 500 iBook was a pig, and cannot be compared to the new ones at all. I will venture to say that the new iBooks are as fast as the 550 TiBooks. Just because it is a G3, means nothing. If he is looking at the 550's, the iBooks will be a better value now, and for the future.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Now Alpha, why would you say that to the young lad. You know they will not update the line after only one month!

Shame on you :D

I like being evil.... muahahahahahaaaa... :D

With Apple, you never really know, and the new TiBook has been out for over a month already... :D...

Any way you slice it, the TiBook ROCKS the house... Just go for the top speed processor and you WILL be happy with it. Just get the LATEST version, not a rev. a or rev. b, since the rev. c added 1MB DDR L3 cache, which you WILL want.

applebesmart

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2002
Ibook is good for you

I have one of the new Ibooks 700mhz with the 12inch screen. I run Logic Audio Gold on it which is an intensive program and it runs it fast. So I say save some bucks and get the ibook. Load it up with ram. Put the Full blown 640 like I did.

-------------------------------------
Technology has made my life complicated because now I have no excusces.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Hey AmbitiousLemon... the regular Apple Store has the TiBook for either $2499, $3199, or $3,799. I'm not going to bother looking at the iBook, since I really think the TiBook will be a better system.

i was looking in the education store since hes a student and those will be the prices he will pay. doesnt matter what consumers pay to him.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Then I guess I got a good deal, even by those standards, since I paid the equivalent of $3000 for my new TiBook (after trading in the rev. a).

I still need to send in my $100 airport base station rebate... note to self.... :D

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
yeah the apple education deals arent the greatest. thats why im always surprised why people are willing to lie and cheat to get the edu deals. still if you buy a powerbook now with a ram or airport or hard drive upgrade you get a free portable firewire hard drive. pretty cool. and instant rebates on airport base stations. since i live in california though buying from apple is usually more expensive then buying from an online reseller. apple charges tax while resellers dont. and apple's discounts are way less than tax. seems like apple's deals should be better than what resellers are giving. most resellers still havent raised prices on imacs, so the $50 off apple gives for education is pretty silly since they raised prices $100. but from a reseller and save $50 more than buying from the edu store and get all sorts fo free ram, printers, zip drives, etc. ive lost so many windows converts because the got to the education store and found paltry discounts for students.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.