TiBook peeling paint fix?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by 5300cs, Dec 14, 2003.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I have a 550 TiBook, and the paint is peeling off under my right wrist to the point of where it is down right ugly.
    I want to get some model paint or something and paint it up to look good again. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone else done this?

I was going to sell it, but putting Panther on it sped it right up again and made me change my mind :)

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

paint? isn't it titanium? all I can think of that would hold up is some silver fingernail polish.

3. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

ok, yeah i have the same problem, i think its partially because right there above the CD drive is slightly flexible so the oils combined with constant bending...bad paint.

they make a TiPaint for these problems...though i heard its hard to use and doenst come out very well...

4. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

Hmmm.. fingernail polish .. hadn't thought about that....

I've thought of looking for replacement body parts on auction. Anything to make it look better :(

uhlawboi80 > Do you remember the name of that TiBook paint?

5. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    DO NOT USE THE TITANIUM POWERBOOK PAINT!

The paint of which you are speaking, causes more problems than it solves. Not only did it look bad and low qaulity, but it did not stick correctly, and it ended up peeling more of my original paint off.

Please refer to my thread,
    about tibook paint.

6. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

looks like my awesome idea about using nail polish may be the way to go. yay me! :)

7. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

Ok ok ok I won't :) I'm still looking at options. The paint job you did came out real nice, but is WAY more involved than I ever want to get.

Hmmm, fingernail polish ...

8. Xero macrumors 6502

theres a website somewhere that sells a bunch of different powerbook replacement parts, like latches, front/back plates, screens, etc... i lost the link but i know i found it on this forum. you should try find that.

[EDIT] Fingernail polish seems like a really bad idea, i wouldnt risk it.

9. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    a new bezel is quite expensive. it is connected to the top part of your laptop, so it is not as simple as you may think. you would have to COMPLETELY dissasemble your tibook to replace the white bezel and the titanium top/ trackpad/clicker....