TiBook problems waking from sleep

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wowoah, Oct 13, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    I've had my TiBook for a little more than a year now and in all other respects, it's working great. However, recently I've noticed a few problems with my Mac when I try to wake it up from sleep. Like most of you PB users, I never turn my Mac off--I just close the screen and let it go to sleep. But recently every so often when I open the screen up to use my PB, it won't turn on. More specifically, it seems like the hard drive wakes up (I can hear it whirr to life when I press my ear to the case) but the screen doesn't turn on. Another thing that occassionally happens when I try to wake it up by opening the screen is that I'll get this gray box that pops onto the screen saying that I need to restart my computer (in three languages, no less.) No explanation, no error code, nothing. An incident like this happens at least once a week.

I have to say that I am very happy that this is the worst of my problems after a year of use, but when my old Dell had issues like this, my first instinct was to just do a clean reinstall of the whole system. This is a major pain in the a**, as I'm sure most of you know, and I want to know if this is even a valid strategy for solving OS issues on the Mac, or if there is some other explanation to this problem.

Thanks a lot in advance to everyone!
  2. macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Make sure your battery is properly seated in its place (remove it and replace to be sure). This can be the source of a lot of problems, even if the computer is plugged in.

3. macrumors member

Nov 15, 2003
    Gray screen

Once in a while I have had to do a cold startup to clear "Odd" happenings with my alG4. Not often, mind you but once in a great while. Try it, it won't hurt your computer and will definetly clear out any lingering ghosts in memory or hung system processes... :cool: