TiBook Question (or: visions of g4's dancing in my head)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by roy_g_biv, Jul 26, 2002.

1. roy_g_biv macrumors newbie

question.

i'm a pc user. i've had it with windows and i'm set on getting a mac for my last 2 years of college. i've been looking at the Tibook very carefully. there are, however, a few puzzles i'm hoping someone can set straight for me. when i was looking up information on the rev. b 667 i heard volumes of stories about the heat and fan problems... digging around more i read an article at the register that said the rev. b model was an overclocked 600mhz 7440. looking at motorola's website they don't list 7440 g4's, but they do list 7441's clocked at the same speed as the 7440's quoted in the article. (i'm just assuming they're the same chip) so can overclocking a processor be the cause of the heat/wicked loud fan problems the rev. b 667 Tibooks have?

also, i was looking around other discussions when the rev. c Tibooks came out, and a few members were able to find out that they contained the apollo g4's. however motorola's website only lists the 7455 apollo clocking in at 600, 733, 800, 933, and 1 GHz. again, does that mean the 667 rev. c Tibook is another overclocked processor? and if so, what does that mean for heat/performance/battery life in relation to a normal 800mhz?
    is this a waste of time? am i just beating a dead horse here?

these are the websites if anyone wants a looky:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/22261.html

http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?nodeId=01M98653

2. Catfish macrumors newbie

Re: TiBook Question (or: visions of g4's dancing in my head)

I have a rev C TiBook and have no problems with heat or fan noise at all. In fact the fan hardly ever comes on! It has been postulated that the 667 is actually an underclocked 733.

3. iGav macrumors G3

Well I can't speak for the Rev B, but I have a 500 Rev A, and it does get hot, although when it's on a desk it makes no difference really........ also the fan on mine comes on quite abit when I'm pushing it hard, although it hardly ever comes on when I'm doing less demanding work......

I really wouldn't worry about the fan noise, the fan really is small, and isn't really that distracting..... put it this way, an equivalent PC laptop is much, much louder.......

If you're looking at getting a PowerBook G4, then definitely consider the latest versions, they really are fantastic machines, and are much better than the Rev A and B versions...... although both the Rev A and B are still superb portable machines, and still have a handy does of speed for a laptop......

Whatever model or revision TiBook you decided on.... I assure you you'll be very very happy with it........ ;) :)

4. roy_g_biv thread starter macrumors newbie

very very interesting..

but can someone explain to me the method and implications behind over/underclocking a processor? is this a common practice computer manufacturers use to milk more megahertz?
    (and if the rev c 667 is unclocked, does that mean there would be a way to supe that mammajamma up?)

thank you... to be honest at this point i'm so fed up with window$ i think i would be happy just to be off that OS period, and i'm really excited by the possibilities of os x -- it's just trying to decide between which of the two Tibook choices would be the best value, and if overclocking even factors into that.

5. iGav macrumors G3

You can soupe the TiBook up, like any computer as far as I know..... but the practice obviously has its risks......

With regards to the two TiBook revs.... the B and C...... go for the latest ones if you have the money....... level 3 cache, bigger HD, better graphics, higher screen rez, ADC connector..... mean that not only are they really high performing, but they'll also have a much longer usable life...... also because of the 32Mb graphics, it'll run 'Jaguar' so much better than the first two TiBook revisions......

As I said though all of the TiBooks are great machines, it really does just depend on your budget......... :)

6. roy_g_biv thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i agree. i'm looking at either the 667 or 800mhz. (mainly i'll be looking for the one that works best with video editing and getting girls....two...three...is this on?) i've got some financial aid to squander and i can't think of a better way to do it.
    well, i could, but....