Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NatronB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
hello-

I'm purchasing an old TiBook (500 MHz) and I have a few questions:

1) does the video out support a seperate display, or does it just mirror? How does this effect performance (I imagine the paltry videocard in there would be hurting if I plugged in a 17," no?)

2) I've heard of a product that allows one to plug in a videocard to push an external display. Does anyone have any experience with this (I can't remember what it was called). Would this solve my issue of not having enough VRAM for Quartz Extreme?

3) It's got an airport card but my girl has a PC. I thought I remembered hearing about a wireless solution that could work with AirPort and PCs, what's it called?

Thanks in advance.

-Nate

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Re: TiBook questions....

Originally posted by NatronB
hello-
I'm purchasing an old TiBook (500 MHz) and I have a few questions:
1) does the video out support a seperate display, or does it just mirror? How does this effect performance (I imagine the paltry videocard in there would be hurting if I plugged in a 17," no?)
Not sure about the 500, but I drive an external display at a very high resolution, and it does not affect my main display at all.

2) I've heard of a product that allows one to plug in a videocard to push an external display. Does anyone have any experience with this (I can't remember what it was called). Would this solve my issue of not having enough VRAM for Quartz Extreme?
It would not be worth it, even if a product like this did exist. you would be better off spending the few hundred dollars to get a used 667 (if you could find one)

3) It's got an airport card but my girl has a PC. I thought I remembered hearing about a wireless solution that could work with AirPort and PCs, what's it called?
Thanks in advance.
-Nate
Airport is an 802.11b "WiFi" compliant product. If your ladyfriends computer has a similar card, say a lucent card, it will work with no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.