TiBook questions....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by NatronB, Sep 7, 2002.

1. NatronB macrumors regular

hello-

I'm purchasing an old TiBook (500 MHz) and I have a few questions:

1) does the video out support a seperate display, or does it just mirror? How does this effect performance (I imagine the paltry videocard in there would be hurting if I plugged in a 17," no?)

2) I've heard of a product that allows one to plug in a videocard to push an external display. Does anyone have any experience with this (I can't remember what it was called). Would this solve my issue of not having enough VRAM for Quartz Extreme?

3) It's got an airport card but my girl has a PC. I thought I remembered hearing about a wireless solution that could work with AirPort and PCs, what's it called?

Thanks in advance.

-Nate

2. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Re: TiBook questions....

Not sure about the 500, but I drive an external display at a very high resolution, and it does not affect my main display at all.
    It would not be worth it, even if a product like this did exist. you would be better off spending the few hundred dollars to get a used 667 (if you could find one)
    Airport is an 802.11b "WiFi" compliant product. If your ladyfriends computer has a similar card, say a lucent card, it will work with no problems.