TiBook Rev. A Loose Battery

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by FelixDerKater, Apr 19, 2003.

1. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Is there anyone else out there with a rev. A TiBook who is having trouble with the battery falling out when you pick up the computer? This gets really annoying when you are trying to do a presentation and the battery falls off and the computer goes to sleep.

2. iGav macrumors G3

Re: TiBook Rev. A Loose Battery

I had that on my old Rev A 500.... I remember once being on a train, and it was coming to my station, sat next to my TiBook was my brand new Nokia 7710 that was replaced by my mobile company as I damaged the last one... it was delivered that day..... I picked up my TiBook to put it in the case and WHAM.... the battery dropped out and smashed the phone.... I was so pi$$ed you wouldn't believe...

I also had the problem of when picking up and moving the TiBook when it was switched on that it the power would cut out and I'd have to restart!! :rolleyes: :p

Give Apple a call.... it's a manufacturing/design fault.....

G

P.S. my current 1GHz TiBook doesn't do any of this.... so I still think you should pester Apple regardless as whether it is covered by AppleCare or not....

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    it sounds like it is becoming unlatched.

is the sping on the latch not closing anymore? it might be loose and work its way into the release position.

4. backspinner macrumors 6502a

maybe it's to simple, but just put tape on the lock and continue...

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apple sent me a new battery for free after I enquired. It's a known design flaw. I would guess it's still good... it's not really a warranty item? Mine was over a year old.

6. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

good for you. did they ask for the old one back?

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

isn't that a given? otherwise you could amass batteries on false reports!

8. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

not actually.

MSFT sent me a new intellamouse after my first one died. they did not ask for the old one back, they just sent me a new one. while i did not, i could have easily screwed them.

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

This was a problem with the Rev. A TiBook, and Apple actually was replacing the batteries for a while...but this was 2 years ago. My Rev. A 500 had a problem with losing the connection for the battery when handling sometimes, but I never got it replaced until the battery died (AppleCare).

My Rev. B 667, however, does not do this. ;)

10. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Actually, I had to give them a credit card, they sent a battery, I dropped the old one in the mailer they included. Done.

11. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, that's the same way they did for my power supply; they bill your card the replacement if they don't receive the bad one in like 2 weeks (it's air mailed so that's plenty of time)