tibook rugged?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Choppaface, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I'm thinking of possibly looking at a new tibook, but it seems so fragile. my dad has a 500mhz model and although it seems sturdy enough, it seems so thin that if anything hit it, it might break. right now I have a lombard, which my dad used for about a year or so after I got it last year or so. I beat the crap out of the thing to tell the truth :D....to frase it better though, 'its been loved'... I throw it in and out of my backpack, where it's squished inbetween my books, it along with my backpack gets thrown around during everyday use. its got numerous scratches, a bit of scuffing on the screen from the keyboard, and the springs for the rear door came loose so it kinda hangs there. its batteries (always have two of them in there) have been used so much that I can get about 2 hours out of each of them. I also never shut it down, and I'll often put it to sleep even after the finder crashes yet it holds up enough for me to later edit dozens of photoshop files. and of course, I've lost all four rubber feet.... would the Tibook live up to this sort of treatment, or do you think I'd be a bit too rough on it? my dad has one right now, and the little plastic piece by the open button has already cracked yet he hardly ever packs it in his briefcase. If i got one, I wouldn't really be sensative to it's looks, I can take a few scratches here and there (although it would be nice to have a clear screen), but might this kind of treatment cause more than just cosmetic damage? so far I've never had anything important break on my Lombard, but seeing just how fragile the iBooks are makes me worry about how safe a TiBook might be in my backpack. I've also considdered perhaps a fully loaded Pismo since its got about the same case as my Lombard (right?), but a G4 chip would be *really* convenient

thanks for any feedback :D

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Titanium will dent and scratch much easier than the surface of the PBG3s. One of the nice things about the design is there are very few places to catch on things and create a possible breaking point.

If you seriously want one, I would suggest getting some sort of slim case to put it in before you put it in your backpack. It will save it from a lot of the beating it would take.

3. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Straight and to the point: No, the Ti wouldn't hold up to that type of treatment.

That being said, get a protective sleeve (there's a good one at the Apple Online Store) and of course the AppleCare Protection Plan + screen insurance (if they offer it).

4. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

the TiBook is extremely prone to scratching (and the scratches are a hideous, dark iron color). If you're not worried about appearence, though, I would think it would do better than the Pismo (not sure what a Lombard is, sorry) since it's metal. I had a Pismo and wrecked it by putting it in with some books. Un_happy.

I wouldn't expect the screen to last if you put direct pressure on that Apple logo. It will push through and your sreen will be toast. My TiBook _is_ much better about key marks on the screen that the Pismos.

i might worry about getting something in the CD drive that shouldn't be there, though. It's open, as you know. (well, there's felt there, but that doesn't do much good).

but my question is why would you want to be careless with a $4000 computer? It doesn't take that much effort to just take care of it, IMHO. You can buy a backpack from the Apple store that has a protected computer compartment in it. Just stick an Ararchy symbol and some Fugazi patches on it, it'll be SWEET!

;)

5. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

The Lombard was the model between the WallStreet and Pismo PowerBook G3s.

6. iGav macrumors G3

Can't you just go alittle easier on the TiBook......... than you did on the Pismo?

Just a thought!!:D

7. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Re: tibook rugged?

Um...did you mean how fragile the TiBooks were or iBooks as you said? because the MacWorld magazine here in Australia basically threw an iBook down concrete stairs at a station and there were a few scratches, no breakages...

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

in my opinion...

being constructed from titanium & having carbon fiber insides doesn't mean anything...

it's very slim...the metal is very thin...and it's always felt a little fragile...I've never traveled without it being in a case...

maybe the next generation PowerBook will have a more rugged case?

9. palala macrumors member

Screen Scratches

OK, I don't know about you, but I cannot stand the marks on my screen from the keys on the keyboard when the machine is closed. I know how to deal with this though, and this is especially important if you are getting a new powerbook. Go to a sunglasses store, and get one of those silk type cleanin cloths they have for sunglasses. whenever you close your Powerbook, place this silk cloth over the keyboard, it will protect your screen, and prevent the annoying keyboard marks.

10. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

what kinds of cases are there for the tibook? I dont want something taking up most of the room in my backpack...which as it is already weighs 25-30 pounds on a good day