tibook sampler....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by krossfyter, Apr 21, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Lets say I wanted to do live sampling work for a band....I wanted to use my mac or tibook to be the sampler adding decoration or samples to a bands music and do it live on stage...with presets etc. etc....just by pusing a certain key a certain preset sound would come on. What program would be good for this? Is doing this common or rare? What kind of stuff does this involve?

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I use my Powerbook for recording for a band (Indy/Rock) I have access to a 96 channel mixing desk which I just input through a little think called the iMic to my Powerbook.

Ensign

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    check this out

ableton LIVE sounds like what you're looking for. i haven't had a chance to play with it but its getting great reviews. check out www.ableton.com for info.

:)

4. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

and....

its not that rare of a concept. if you're just going to trigger sounds for an effect, thats one thing. if you're going to trigger sounds that have a tempo( such as a drum loop), then you'll need to have the drummer play to a click track and most likely the two of you will need to be synced up via midi.

if you want to get into the technical aspects of it all, let me know. :)

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I'm doing this at school
    my school has protools and I learning that instead of an instrument
    whcih is cool except its on a PC

6. Jookbox macrumors 6502

you might want to consider connecting a midi keyboard. that's how most musicians use computers on stage. it's much more convenient than hitting those tiny keys.

7. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thanks. i dl ableton and im trying to figure it out.

midi keyboards...hmm... give me an example?

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Check out protools

http://www.protools.com

You can get a download/free version that allows up to 6 tracks. Its a non linear editing system that is used by a lot of pros. Worth the dl.

9. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

how do i preset a key for a certain sound? do i just have to do it with the push of a mouse button? heres what i want to do... i want to program and manipulate a certain sound...which ableton seems to do then i want to be able to preset it for a certain key.
    how will protools be live? am i able to do all this in protools?

10. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

hey kross

first, protools or any of the other usual software suspects(performer, logic, cuebase) aren't suited for what you wish to do. LIVE seems like the only thing out there perfectly suited for "live" performance.

you can assign a sound to an individual key( on a piano type keyboard) easily with live. for a cheap controller ( midi piano type keyboard), midiman makes the oxygen-its about 2 octaves and each key could trigger any sound or sounds you assign to it. believe me, on stage you don't want to use a mouse-how accurate can you be? and how geeky do you want to look?:D ( and lets be honest-we want to look cool on stage...) the oxygen also uses usb so you don't need a midi interface-sweet. you will need a sound card to get the audio out of your mac and to your mixer or the soundman-the options are many-and the prices vary greatly. if you have the $, i'd use a firewire audio interface. clean, easy and reliable. ableton might recommend some on their site. the 896 from www.motu.com is getting rave reviews though it isn't cheap.

hope this helps. also, if you're using tempo specific loops you'll have to have your drummer playing to a click track which is another hurdle. its not tough to do but its a lot to wrap your head around all at once:eek:

11. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter