TiBook sleep light dead

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by alexf, Jun 1, 2004.

1. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

The sleep light on my TiBook 800 MHz just died. Has anyone experienced something similar, or can someone give me advice on what I should do?

The computer is not under warranty, and if repair would be expensive, I guess I could live without the cute little pulsating light...

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

you sure your mac is going to sleep? It may have something preventing it from going to sleep.

3. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Oh, yes, it's asleep: it wakes up when I hit a key.

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

My best guess: it's pretty much toast. Sorry!

Lee Tom

5. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Toast? Seems like a simple electrical problem to me... How did you come to this conclusion?

6. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

I noticed that when the screen is opened to certain angles the light comes back on... Would this be expensive to fix?

7. Santiago macrumors regular

My TiBook has been generally doing that as well. I don't think it's an electrical issue in my case, as the light does come on sometimes. Usually, it will go to sleep with no light, and then when you go to wake it up, the light will blink quickly before it wakes up. This happens even if I put it to sleep and wake it up using the power button, without moving the hinge. If it were a matter of a power cable being pinched or faulty, then nothing should change unless the lid is opened or closed. Given how unimportant this is, I haven't bothered getting it looked at.

8. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Yes, this is how I feel. It is kind of nice, however, to know whether the computer is off or asleep...

9. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

a light won't come on and you think the system is toast? WOW!

10. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

He didn't say the system is toast, he said the light was toast. Given the difficulty in getting into a TI book case, I'd have to agree with him. It's not a total lost cause, but most likely requires way too much energy to fix.

BEN

11. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

the light being toast was a given. I assumed it went without saying. this is why I thought he was talking about the system. :)

12. garybUK Guest

garybUK

If the light comes on when the screen is at a certain angle, its probably just a dry solder joint....

Now if you feel lucky, you dont mind invalidating any warranties and feel okay pulling your powerbook apart then you could just re-heat the joints with a soldering iron and a bit of solder..

13. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

14. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I would say congradulations! Since I keep my powerbook in my bedroom, I haven't slept in total darkness for a while! :D If the light works sometimes when the screen is at a certain angle, that could mean that more than just the sleep light connector is going to go. Be gentle with the hinges.

15. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

What's a PMU reset?

And by the way, I have taken immaculate care of this computer - never dropped it or exposed it to any elements, so I'm a bit surprised that this problem has just occured (as minor as it is).

Where can I find information on opening up my PB - since it's not under warranty anymore, I guess there's no reason not to try and do it myself... Or?

16. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Yes, that's my greatest fear... That this minor problem might be an indicator that worse things are to come, such as a dead screen. Is this a valid fear? I have to leave the country for about a month and will need my PB with me for business - if it dies I'm in deep ____. Should I get it checked out before I go? Anybody have any guesses as to how much a check-up would cost? :confused:

17. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Sounds like this must not be a common problem after all...

Think I'll just give up some money and get it fixed before my screen dies...

18. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Has anyone here every taken apart there Powerbook before to fix a screen connection problem?

19. donlab macrumors regular

donlab

me too!

Alexf,

my sleep light died too. I had a 1Ghz Tibook, and it died after about 3 months of use. my superdrive was making consistent coasters as well. so i sent it in to get drive repaired and sleep light fixed. came back, the drive was replaced but they overlooked the light, so i had to send it back in. I wouldnt recommend trying to fix it yourself. you have to pry the titanium bezel off the screen that goes around the front of screen, when u do, u need another one, its a one time thing. you will ruin it. if i tapped my computer on the side it would come on. sort of a loose connection in there. I wouldnt worry about it. if u dont have apple care, just ignore it. just close lid and listen for the HD to spin down, then u know she's asleep. I hope this helps.

donlab

20. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

hmmm.... I wish my sleep light was dead :mad: Every night I have to cover my PB up with somthing so the light dosn't light up the entire room at night and it pulses... even worse.

21. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

22. t^3 macrumors regular

I simply put a fat pen or mechanical pencil in front of my PB to cover up the light, or anything on my desk that's big enough. Although that might not completely cover it, it helps out a lot.

23. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Actually, wouldn't it be a great idea if Apple were to make the sleep light behavior customizable in the control panel? I have noticed how many people are annoyed with the the light, especially those who sleep in the same room as their computers...

Apple, are you listening?