TiBook Speaker Grills = Dust Vacuums?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Xero, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Xero macrumors 6502

Well, ive been starting to notice that there seems to be some sort of adhesive material right under the speaker grills on my TiBook, because dust stuffs are continuing to build up in there, and i cant get it out with compressed air, and barely have any luck even poking the dust out with a poking device! ...which leaves me thinking that theres some sort of sticky substance right under there, wherever there isnt an actual speaker or the small microphone pickup. mine is a 1ghz model, and i also noticed this on a friends earlier revision model [either 400 or 500mhz, cant remember]. anybody else have this problem or any suggestions? id like to try and keep this thing looking like new as long as possible, and that dust build up in my friends TiPB is rather uncool looking. thanks ahead of time!

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I would try using one of those small vacuums for keyboards and such. But be very weary about using a "poking device" near the speakers, you dont want to ruin them. Small speakers are extremely fragile.

3. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

also, turn the machine off, airflow from the fan might be trapping the dust in there.

4. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

well i can tell where the speakers are because the dust doesnt build up on them, it only builds up where theres seems to be material in direct contact with the underside of the speaker grills. and for this same reason, i doubt it has to do with the fan going. also when i touch the material under the grills with something, i can feel it stick to the surface when i pull the object off. again thanks for any suggestions tho. :)

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

another thing to try, and i haven't done this, is putting some packing tape wrapped backwards onto the end of a toothpick, so you can stick the sticky down into the grill, but once again, be careful of the mic and speakers!

i have a tibook too, 1 GHz. doesn't seem to attract the dust like you say, but the little that's gotten in there sure has stayed. no one (myself included) notices on mine.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The sticky feeling could be caused by the static electricity produced by the speakers. They will attract dust, and like someone pointed out, you will probably have better luck getting it out with the computer turned off, plus it's a little safer if you don't have power running through the computer if you poke something in there.

JW