Tibook spinning beachball

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by California, Apr 1, 2005.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I'm holding on to my ancient 400mhz Tibook because Apple basically replaced all of its components -- logic board, middle case, trackpad, everythiing but the screen, which is great, before warranty ran out last August.

I love the machine. I maxed to 1gig of ram and a 5400rpm 40gig travelstar hd.

I upgraded to Panther and the only thing that is bugging me at moment is that I am getting the spinning beachball way too much.

I don't game. I use Word and surf the internet. That's it! Is my machine just too slow? I'm only using about 9gigs of the hard drive space -- so why do I have this beach ball delay on websites and even when I use Word?

Very frustrating. Any clues or ideas appreciated. I could upgrade CPU to 550 through Daystar (chickened out at last minute as I don't like shipping my pristine machine across the country). Or should I get a faster 7200 rpm HD maybe?

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Before you give up on it (a G4/400 isn't that slow), I'd try repairing permissions. Performance often deteriorates as permissions rot, and they always rot.

Also, run the activity monitor for a while, with the Dock icon set to CPU usage. This will give you some idea where the clock cycles are going.

3. point665 macrumors regular

Empty your cache and such, empty your font cache using Font Fingler (spelling?)... Repair your permissions...