TiBook: The Ultimate Betrayal

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by RUNCIBLE 2.0, Aug 2, 2002.

1. RUNCIBLE 2.0 macrumors newbie

At first, you appreciate the diminutive uniqueness of your "snow white" laptop, glinting in the sunlight and bearing vague, subconscious allusions to SNOW CRASH, the "squib" which launched our cyberpunk age. Then you move to Sunnyvale, appropriately 6.4 miles away from Apple Headquarters (also known as Infinity Loop, Cupertino). Still, you ride VTA's Light Rail system, priding yourself on possessing a neat cut of modern technology, cheerily rapping out long sequences of gibberish while the other passengers look blankly on. Then, one day, why not -- you decide to visit "Mac HQ," home of the thirty-foot-high "TO THE CRAZY ONES" sign. Also a football-field sized wall-hanging American flag, resting next to a huge shot of Caesar Chavez. Following the signs, you eventually plant your vehicle in Visitor Parking and take a stroll into "The Company Store". Ah, riches! A sea of lickable Apple merchandise, alongside the latest demo editions of actual machines (AC adaptors wrapped in a thick sheet of raw steel, bolted to the counter). Smugly, you turn your nose up at the higher-end desktop systems, shunning their innate immobility . . . and let your eyes down in the LAPTOP section, where the best kinds are displayed first. A foreign thing, a seventeen-inch rectangle of graphite with black keyboard, grins back. Your mouth hangs open. Eyes shift to the ghostly white iBook off, way, way at the other end . . . total isolation. A postage stamp of a computer. And then, impulsively, you drag down the "ABOUT THIS COMPUTER" feature, and the graphite/black coolness gloats: PowerPC G4 Processor. Your world begins to collapse . . . You begin to think, "3K? I could have managed that; my iBook was 1.5. Oh, if only I'd waited a FEW more months . . . "

Returning, depressed, to your silver GTI VR6, you reminisce about all the fun things accomplished on your iBook . . . the madness, the movies, the games. And suddenly, it hits you: Apple Computers is a corporation, too.

The drive home is long and lonely.

2. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

i only wish i understood what the hell you were talking about.

are you complaining that you didn't buy a tiBook?

i'll pretend i understand you.... um.. there was no secret that they had g4's and went for 3 grand. they were probably sitting right next to the iBook you bought.

good times bro.

good times.

C-

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

waxing poetic doesn't help the overall tone of the post - you have regrets, too bad. If you wait long enough there will always be a machine that outshines the one you bought long ago.

Consider yourself educated, and when it comes time to buy a new machine you know what to do. :D

D

4. RUNCIBLE 2.0 thread starter macrumors newbie

This Chosen Ground

Why the "rating" system? Viz.: "C-," "D"? Or was C- the only rating, D being duke's initial?

Is it customary for us to rate eachothers' grammatical skill, now? Hm. If so, the first reply deserves an F, unless the submitter is 12 years old or younger. And the second? Well, I wont rate it, because at least he's got some positive feedback, appended with a smiley face that actually managed to force my mood up a couple notches.

5. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Re: This Chosen Ground

shut the fudge up

6. RUNCIBLE 2.0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Re: This Chosen Ground

Not to mention "*-=[MoNkEyBuSiNeSs]=-*"

So, technically, you're the one who needs to "shut the fudge up."

You can't judge the rules until you know them.

7. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: This Chosen Ground

what in the hell are you blathering about? trying to up your post count with complete idiocy won't gain you respect.

F

8. RUNCIBLE 2.0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: This Chosen Ground

That's it, Quark. You read me like a book. You're absolutely and unequivocally right, in every aspect of your analysis.

Even so, you still forgot to capitalize your sentences.

Fs across the board.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You all should lighten up a bit. If someone wants to show creativity, let them, unless you really didn't understand what the 500 word post said, or couldn't concentrate or bother to read the whole thing. Sure, runcible could have omitted quite a few words and still get the message across, but what does it matter?

TiPBs are great, shiny, sexy machines. I've got one, I love it. But there is also a thread up and running right now about a member who asked advice on purchasing a iBook or a TiPB and of course everyone said - TiPB - so he bought it, and now he's returned it for the iBook because he didn't need that powerful a machine. Its always nice to see all sides to issues, open your mind and realize that there is much more out there than you want to believe.

And everyone is free to post their thoughts :rolleyes:

D

10. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Hey Runcible, you need to chill out and stop looking for trouble man. That kinda crap will get you banned quickly.

11. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i liked it...

a nice lyrical post.

good for you.

ignore the critical effluent.

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Man, give him a break! :eek:

Sheesh. It's refreshing to read a post with good grammar, spelling, form, and content. Oh, and not to mention it was actually a decent read! That's more than I can say for some of the rest of you... :p

13. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Re: This Chosen Ground

Wow.

I sign all my posts with a "C". Duke signs all his with a "D". Its fairly common on the message boards. There was no rating intended. Im surprised... this obviously got blown waaay out of preportion.

Machines become outdated as updates tend to do that :) Hugs and kisses all around. This community is better when it is flame free... (

Good times.

C- (no rating implied)