TiBook will NOT boot on OS9. HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by dsamsa, Sep 11, 2002.

1. dsamsa macrumors newbie

Hey guys, i've tried to work this problem out a million times. I have nowhere else to look for help. OK. Here is the problem. I formatted my Ti 800Mhz, with the OSX 10.2 CD. I told it to install OS9 drivers. So boom, OSX went on fine, works, yay. So then i was like hmm... I think i should install OS9. So i took my 9.2.1 CD, and tried to install it onto my PB. Hold down the "C" key, it starts to start up off of the CD, then crashes. Gives me a window with that nasty OS9 bomb, and says error 11, turn extensions off bla bla bla... does it every time. So i was like oh crap. So i hooked it via FireWire to my G4. Held down the "T" key to use the PB drive as a external HD, and format and install OS9 only, no OSX yet. So then I did that. Upgraded it to 9.2.2, restart the Ti, and BOOM! it works, kinda... It looks like the screen is only displaying 256 colors. HUH? So i go into the control strip, and its listing 2 moniters? I have nothing connected to the DVI port. So i move the toolbar thingy to the other moniter. that was a bad idea. Now i cannot get into anything, because there is nothing on the desktop, no toolbar, nothing. and the desktop picture is in 256 colors. So i put the 9.2.1 CD back in the PowerBook to see if NOW it would install properly. nope. bam! Error 11. So thats where I am. If i had the origional CDs here to restore, i'd use them. But I cannot get them as of now. Please anyone if you have any ideas, please help! Could Apple have already implimented the no OS9 boot thing?

~David~

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

3. dsamsa thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, i got the restore CD's. I started up off of them, and it will not let me restore! it says the configuration is NOT supported. HUH? OK, i also got the hardware test CD that came with it. pop it in, I get this UNIX stuff and it says this word for word on the screen:

ERROR, Somebody wrote into location ZERO!!
    Function Back Trace level: 2
    01 - TCP_GetVerboseMode
    00 - main
    What now? d=Debugger, o=OF, q=quit, r=repair, c=Continue : _

So I choose r right? heres what i get in a window:

Apple Hardware Test does not support this machine.
    [Shut Down] [Restart]

THIS CD CAME WITH THE Ti!!! I guess I need to call Apple in the morning. is my computer broken? is it hardware? HELP!

~David~

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Please Tell me you still are within the warranty.

If not try this

There should be a small button on the back of the machine with a black triangle.
    With the TiBook Off, stick a pencil against the button, so it is depressed. Press the Power key, You should begin to hear Startup sound after Startup sound. After 10 times, release the button and allow to startup normal, or install OS9, if you need to. Everything should be fine.

If that doesn't work this should.

Use the Disk Utility on the OSX CD to check and repair the disk if nessarry. If its ok, then Use Disk Utility's Partition Tab, and Partition your drive, try 3 to be safe all HFS +. Once those are created, and initalized, restart, re-partition as one drive, reinitalize, and shutdown. Now use your Restore CD(s) to reinstall everything.

If that doesn't work, pay the $50 and call apple (Although if its still doing this, it is probally hardware related, and therefore free.)

TEG

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

9 first.

i have encountered this problem too. there is an easy answer to this. you have to put 9 on first. you cant put 10 on there and then 9. it has the be the other way around. so back up everything and wipe out everything and do 9 first. this will fix your problem. apple told me this at my apple dealer my parents own. try that and things should go well. good luck man.

6. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Error 11

Is that an address error? I think I've had a similar experience with my iBook. Get a new 9 CD. It's corrupted, or was burned badly. Also, to actually get it to work, open the Disk Utility in the OS X installer, and wipe the HD without installing anything. Then start-up on a new 9 CD.

7. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

i have had a similar problem. i did a clean install of jaguar. i did not see any options for installing classic drivers. then i put my os 9 cd in and the computer will not start up in os 9 ( it wont boot from the cd)

what is up with this. are you all suggesting i have to reinstall everything again?

ouch

8. dsamsa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help everyone, but I've already formated the drive and tried to install OS9 just by itself. The computer will not use the restore CD's either. theres a bunch of CD's that come with this, and like none of them will do anything. And there is nothing in the manual to tell me what to do. By the way the install OS9 drivers option is in the disk utility on the OSX 10.2 CD. I just dont know what to do with this thing. More advise would be appreciated. thanks

~David~