tiBook with external Al display?? How?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by furrina, Feb 3, 2006.

1. furrina macrumors regular

I'm using my BF's grotty Tibook while my powerbook is in the shop (failed hard drive. two in one year. got one elsewhere this time). I usually run it in clamshell or dual screen mode, i have a new model 20" aluminum display and i just plug it in and it goes. I would like to be able to do this with this one but I am not sure how? Sorry to sound stupid but the plug seemed to fit in the monitor port but the pins don't seem to match (??) Anyway it didnt seem to do anything anyway, display stayed dark. Yes the 'book is plugged in. I'm wondering if to run the display off this guy i need either sw (driver) or hw (adapter?) or if it can be done at all.

thanks for any insights

2. California macrumors 68040

California

What kind of Tib ook? There are different adapters for different models.

3. furrina thread starter macrumors regular

TiBook with external new apple display?

867 mhz ppc g4.

4. superwoman macrumors regular

Hi, just want to tell you that I'm using a 20" Al ACD with my 867 TiBook too. No problems, even in clamshell mode. The DVI connector that came with the display works perfectly on the TiBook. I don't recall needing any special hw or sw. It just works.

Good luck.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

That model has a DVI out port so it should be the correct monitor port. If plugging the display into another computer makes it work then I would check the display preferences. Set it up how you did with your PowerBook and then open system preferences and choose displays. First try just hitting "Detect displays". If it isn't recognizing that there is even a second display it may be a hardware problem.

You said the pins don't seem to match. What did you mean by this statement? Just that the display doesn't work or that you can't properly plug it in because the pins aren't aligned on the plugs?

6. furrina thread starter macrumors regular

thanks!

Got it working, whew. I had to restart the monitor, occasionally it needs to be unplugged (?) -- thanks for all the info!!!:D