TiBook woes! Any clues?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by eubie, Oct 24, 2003.

1. eubie macrumors newbie

My TiBook is about 3 years old, 400MHz and I love it. Right after I did the 10.8.2 update my problems started. I had problems with the battery icon, so I did the re-issued 10.8.2 and that seemed to help. Just the other day I did the QuickTime & iTune updates and POW! my book does not see my battery anymore. It runs great with the power supply, but no battery. I get 3 out of 4 lights on the battery, it has a charge, but the book doesn't see it. I installed 10.3 thinking it was a software problem, but NO! Still does not see the battery.
    Any suggestions?

2. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Do you know anyone else that has a battery you could test with? I would start there. See if their battery works in yours and your in theirs. You need to remove some of the variables; the first set is if it’s the battery or the system. If it's the system, then you have to deal with software or hardware. Batteries do have a finite lifespan so yours could have finally died.

3. iGav macrumors G3

Maybe try resetting the PMU... on a 400 I think it's alittle button on the back underneath the flap like the 500 was... requires a fine tipped pen or pencil or other point to press.

Also try resetting your PRAM... that might help as well...

Hope you get it sorted.... the 1st generation Ti, is still a very special machine!

G

4. eubie thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried all of that, still nothing. I even took it to CompUSA and they let me try one of their batteries ... nope!

5. iGav macrumors G3

have a look at the battery connector inside the PowerBook.

The 1st generation TiBooks (I had a 500) had a problem on some machines that when you picked them up the case would flex enough to disconnect the battery and shut the machine down.... maybe there's damage to this connector??

Have you tried booting up in OS9 and seeing if it recognises the battery then???

Failing that, if you've tried a another battery.... I'd maybe suggest reinstalling your OS, it's a pain I know, but when I've had problems in the past, that I couldn't fix, no matter what I tried, I've just reinstalled the OSX and that fixes the issue, weirdly I've never experienced the same problem twice... sometimes you can just have a dodge install!

Have you tried the Discussion forums on the Apple site??? they're pretty good for techie suggestions!!

Apart from that, I really don't have any other suggestions..... :(

G

6. eubie thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm almost positive the battery conection is good. When I remove the battery and put it back, the battery icon in the menu bar changes from a battery with a ~ in it to the same thing with a 0%. I've experienced the flex/disconect thing before. This is different.
    I booted the book from a 9.2.1 disc I have. Still the same thing. It's not seeing the battery.
    Monday, when I get back to the office, I'll move my stuff to the file server and do a clean install of 10.3. In the mean time, I'm going to post to the Apple boards and see what happens.
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I really appreciate it!
    ub

7. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Try removing the battery for about 24 hours and putting it back in