Tibooks on 'just shot me'

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac15, Feb 13, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

A few weeks ago people said they had cube on drew carey
    I was watching just shot me and they had tibooks on it
    man they look sweet
    wish I had one

2. insidesource macrumors member

Ab Fab

They also had the long lost cube and flowerpower iMac on Absoulutly Fabuolus.

E

3. erova macrumors member

the absolute best sample of macs in hollywood in my opinion is by far in the Royal Tennanbaums...

ben stiller's character only uses an old-ass apple II (even though the movie takes place in 2001) and all his support staff use 17" lcd's when he moves back home...

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Apple is everywhere in Hollywood

Just off the top of my head:

'CSI' uses them all the time
    'UC Undercover' all the time
    Target uses them in their ads

Countless movies already have the TiBook in them, 'Kate and Leopold' for example.
    Plus, you see the TiBook randomly just about everywhere.

But they are almost always disguised, and the Apple on the back removed (SOMEHOW, must be camera tricks in post for film, or photoshop in the still images, obviously). You have to look carefully to realize they are PowerBooks. They are very stylish computers, and since only 5 percent or so of the population know about them, people who are watching the show think they are just fancy-schmancy 'government computers.'

On a side note, I always love it when they are using these computers, and 'zoom in' pre-recorded images from surveilance cameras, or 're-create' a scene digitally on a laptop in about 10 seconds. Cracks me up. Its so fake.

5. erova macrumors member

oh yeah, you're exactly right agreenster, they are everywhere,...catalogs, cinema displays in college dorms (riiiight)...its so bad now that even my girl can spot them and nudge me in the ribs at the movies...

macworld did a feature article on a flash and director developer who builds the fake *computations* that we see on uc undercover and all the other shows...

i also noticed that apple-less ti book on finches' boss's desk..but that's actually realistic, its a magazine, right??

6. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I always wondered if it was done in Flash. God, what a way to make money. Im a professional flash designer by day and a student by night (well, and day too) and getting a gig like that would be paying out the nose just to design 'fake' OSes and computations. Sheesh. Some people's luck.

7. erova macrumors member

yeah, i'm a pro flash/new media developer too..plus sometimes the work those guys do for fake programs is sooo cheesy too...the scene in Swordfish where the main character literally plants a worm in the federal reserve or where ever is absolutley terrible...the stupid nitrous screen on the laptop in fast and the furious...also trash...

granted both movies were mainstream and produced for 15 year old boys, but still....

8. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

The cube in Edina's kitchen on Ab Fab was cool!!

Also, Vic went to the US on a soap we have in the UK called Crossroads. He sent back an iBook as a present. It was a nice thought, but perhaps he didn't realise we can buy them over here as well!! ( I don't think we've got any new iMacs though if anyone would like to send me one over :) )

My girlfriend also spots all the Apples on TV and points them out to me - isn't she great - she doesn't even know why they're different from PCs but she knows I like them!!

Robin

9. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Interesting side comments

Its funny how we all have girlfriends/fianceés/wives who poke our ribs at movies when an Apple adorns the screens. My fiancee does the same thing to me all the time. She knew nothing about Apple before me, but is pretty much indifferent to computers altogether. She still has a 133mhz pentium I with 32MB of ram, and thinks its fine. But, for what she does, I suppose it is.

She really likes my TiBook however, and claims that when we get married, it's becoming hers...........I smell divorce.......he he he!

10. question1 macrumors newbie

MTV

I assume you all have noticed Macs all over MTV's shows. The current Real World has a cube.

11. lilscoy macrumors member

Smallville...

Lex Luther uses a TiBook in Smallville (an excellent show!!!)...he runs his entire company on it! Maybe Clark Kent should...(nevermind, I was trying to think of a superman joke tying in a macintosh and kryptonite...but I couldn't think of anything funny... :)

12. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Boston Public on FOX uses iMacs...many different colors, models and styles from the orginal Bondi to the Sage and Ruby models. Drew Carey has an iBook...he even used it to make a movie to try and sell himself to women...hehe

13. grrr223 macrumors regular

I just saw Blade for the first time the other day, and I thought it was really funny that the head evil Vampire guy uses a power book. It just seems so out of place, the movie is so dark, and then you see this colorful Apple logo. I like the recent all white ones better. Just thought I'd mention it. I hear you Agreenster about the gf thing. although it's more like any one who knows me :).

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

there are Macs all over the place on TV & in movies it seems....just the other night my girlfriend & I were sitting in the movie Vanilla Sky and the main character (Tom Cruise) had a Mac....nice & big LCD too! :p

makes u wonder why if Hollywood condones the use of them for their movies & shows, howcome we only control 5% of the market? :confused:

15. Screamingbeaver macrumors member

VH1 & Apple

I don't get it. I was watchin' the new show on VH1, "Forever Wild" Sabastian Bach's own show. Anyway he was interviewing Rob Halford in the recording studio. Sabastian had a Pismo Powerbook on his lap reading the questions. they had a big 'ol piece of tape or somethin' covering up the Apple Logo. What is up with that? What are the legalities here? Who would have to pay who?

Just courious,

I can't wait to start seein' the new iMacs all over tv and movies.

16. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Re: Interesting side comments

-yeah, this is kind of off topic, but i use Windows too (only for games). My dad has a Gateway p-133 computer w/16 mb and a 1 gb hdd, and he thinks its the greatest and won't get a new one. Of course, he gets a brand spanking new
    HP 1.2 GHz laptop at work, so...........
    I HAVE NO GAME PLATFORM!!!!
    THIS IS THE PITS!!!!!

17. germanknee macrumors member

Part of the reason we see macs in movies and tv shows, other than because they're cool, is because apple actually pays for advertising in them. I was reading about it in MacAddict magazine. I think it's a great marketing strategy. Also, in the same movies, the bad guys often are using PC's! Quite fitting.

18. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

the character played by david spade on just shoot me has always had an indigo iBook on his desk

19. Gerimi macrumors newbie

Harman Kardon speakers in Spielberg's "AI"

In the scence where the boy visits the lab where he was created, there are a bunch of Harman Kardon bass speakers all over the place. I thought it was funny, since they were pick because they looked like something out of the future. They weren't hooked up to computers or anything...just sitting around looking cool and high tech

20. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: Apple is everywhere in Hollywood

I think "The Agency" is the worst when it comes to that. They fake a video clip of a guy robbing a store in 20 seconds with 5 clicks, come on. I guess the plot wouldn't move along well if they took 2 hours creating the scene then 15 minutes rendering it.
    24 also seems to have a few macs sitting around.

21. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Hmm. In "Unbreakable" in the end scene Samuel L. Jackson has 2 Power Macs standing in his room!
    :rolleyes:

22. germanknee macrumors member

I didn't say, "always," I said, "often."

Unbreakable was a pretty good movie, not what I expected from the title and trailors.

23. shergar macrumors member

Fake OSs

I've designed 'computer' screens for several TV shows here in the UK. The cheese factor always comes from the producer who commissions the graphic: they insist that a computer isn't a real computer unless it has green text on a black background. Preferably with OCR font and a large rectangular flashic cursor. And if there'a any 3D it HAS to be wireframe only.
    It make me cringe every time.
    I did manage to get OS X on Newsnight just after the public beta was launched, but the production team complained that it didn't look 'real'.

24. metfuel macrumors member

If you watch the X-files the guys from the Lone Gunman use TiBooks, and Scully uses a Power Mac.

Bernie Mac uses a TiBook.
    Jason Alexander had one in freinds.

25. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

has anyone ever seen the movie Office Space? The computers they use look like Wintel machines, but when u see the main character actually using it, u see Mac OS....then when he shuts down the computer it goes to what looks like a DOS prompt...weird... :confused: