Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Looks like Apple sees the massive problems in Tiger and are preparing a massive patch. Let's hope this release finally gets Tiger to commercial quality.

I hope Apple takes their time and gets this bug fixing patch right.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
BWhaler said:
Looks like Apple sees the massive problems in Tiger and are preparing a massive patch. Let's hope this release finally gets Tiger to commercial quality.

Hmm, I hope so too. Do you have a source, Brent?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Hmm, I hope so too. Do you have a source, Brent?
How did you know his name? I fear for my anonymity. :eek:

I also welcome the bug fixes, but there are 2 that really kill me.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ooops...I thought it used to be in his sig, or he referred to himself that way. Maybe his name isn't Brent. :eek:

Maybe my name isn't Mohan. Oh, wait, I'm pretty sure it is. :(

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
400 fixes eh? wow thats pretty intense stuff.. i say at least a 60 to 75 meg update for 10.4.3

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
BWhaler said:

Tiger works great for me. What are your problems?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Tiger blows compared to 10.3.9 - that was the most stable OS I've ever used. I've been most disappointed, but it has improved since 10.4... hopefully 10.4.3 will bring it closer to what it was like earlier.....

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
kainjow said:
Tiger blows compared to 10.3.9 - that was the most stable OS I've ever used. I've been most disappointed, but it has improved since 10.4... hopefully 10.4.3 will bring it closer to what it was like earlier.....

10.3.3 wasn't exactly good to use, so Tiger is really no worse than Panther was at a similar period in its life cycle. In fact, for me, Tiger has been more functional than Panther--I can actually print and transfer files! :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
kainjow said:

I've found the opposite, yes 10.3.9 was very stable but I've found 10.4.2 to be nigh on unflappable, nothing seems to faze it anymore - yeah 10.4.0 was a bit temperamental but so far no problems at all with 10.4.2

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
kainjow said:

Haven’t rebooted since 10.4.2 and as much as I'd like to skip the .x updates I'd rather be secure then have a long uptime but it seems like this machine can go for months without a reboot or a slow down so I don’t see how Tiger is crap.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
IMO Tiger is more stable than panther.

1)I haven't seen any kernel panics with it. With 10.3.9 I had.
2)Graphics applications and games crash less. This is due to how Tiger handles and delivers the Video memory to the programs.
3)It is quicker.
4)Somehow, Tiger feels more "concrete" than it ever was Panther. In panther, I used some modifications of the finder. Now, I don't even need to do that.

Really, I don't see any reason whhy you say the OS is still unstable. since 10.4.1, all problems have been fixed for me.

Also, how do you know about the number of fixes from 10.4.2 to 10.4.3? You have a source inside?

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
This is really going to be a massive update. On the one hand, it's great Apple tries to fix as many bugs as they possibly can, on the other hand it shows how unfinished Tiger was when it was released. Nevertheless, I'm positively surprised how well Tiger works despite those many bugs. Let's hope 10.4.3 will turn out as a solid update that doesn't need even more fixes because the more bugs they squash the more likely they are to create new ones.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Abstract said:
400 bug fixes at one time would probably mean a massive update, say 150 MB, no?

Not really. It all depends on how many uniques components (well files that get installed) the bugs occur in. Lets say, for sake of arguement, that there are 100 bugs being fixed in the a single installed file (say the Mail executable). There is no reason then that the update would be any bigger than fixing a single bug in that file as there is still only one copy of the new file in the update.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
MacNoobie said:
Haven’t rebooted since 10.4.2...

Didn't Safari 2.0.1 need a reboot? Meh.

Abstract said:
400 bug fixes at one time would probably mean a massive update, say 150 MB, no?

Do you remember when whole operating systems were 150MB... Sigh. I still don't think it'll be that big. Apple will get a fair bit of flack if it is...

QCassidy352 said:
I've never had a single problem with tiger...

Pretty much the same here. Nothing major at least. :)

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Well, the fact that the average users doesn't know they are here, doesn't mean that they don't exist. Anyway, it's good to hear that an excellent OS gets closer to perfection every day... :D

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
improved gimp print support

We bought a bottom of tge range epsom earlier this year that was marked on teh shelf as being mac compatible. We got it home and discovered that it wasn't - sadly we had already put the ink cartridges in at this stage and we needed to use a printer that evening. I went looking for third party drivers and found it supported by the gimp print 5 beta. That is the only serious thing that changed for the laptop and then it started having occasional kernal panics when moved. I switched to Tiger hoping for better stability (and swapped to more ram (apple)) but they kep t coming - twice it crashed so hard it wouldn't come back. I have since performed a clean install and it now happens very rarely but i wonder if this is related to the beta drivers.

Shame on epsom though - mac hating fools.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
mad jew said:

Do you remember when whole operating systems were 150MB... Sigh. I still don't think it'll be that big. Apple will get a fair bit of flack if it is...

150MB! I remember when they came on floppy disks....

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
mad jew said:

Pretty much the same here. Nothing major at least. :)

Yeah that was a bit disapointing that Safari needed a reboot but as I said I'd rather have a secure box rather then gloat about a couple hundred days uptime but have it not patched. Kinda wish either the updates required a simple logout/login and that'd be it.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I find tiger stable and im sure it has some problems that fixed but 400 damn! i did'nt think there were not many problems with tiger!
I could not get rid of spotlight, i hate when i don't have it on my XP , and dashboard if fun but not need

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
kainjow said:
The first thing I said when I'd used 10.4 after a week was "right, where are my 10.3 disks..."

Chundles said:
150MB! I remember when they came on floppy disks....
Heh, I still have some of those somewhere :D But what's really suprising is that OS 9 was about 150MB with all the bells and whistles. Sheesh, I've got a stripped down version on a 128MB memory stick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.