tiger 10

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rartman, Jul 13, 2006.

1. rartman macrumors newbie

New to apple, just bought an older IBook. Need to upgrade OS. Are the Tiger OS with universal dvd install dics on Ebay illegal copies?

2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Absolutely. Apple hasn't released a universal operating system CD yet. The Intel OS just comes preloaded on new Intel Macs....

EDIT: I guess they could be selling the Intel DVDs that came with their Intel Macs...although it's still probably illegal, right???

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes. The only people who can use MacOS X 10.4/86 are Intel Mac users. However, these users already have MacOS X 10.4/86 because it shipped on their machines. The bottomline is that there is no legitimate demand for MacOS X 10.4/86 DVDs.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

I think by "Universal" the original poster just meant "Will install on any Mac" (as opposed to "eMac-only Reinstall Discs"), rather than "Universal" as in "will install on any Mac, PPC or Intel".

If I'm correct about what you meant, they're probably ok, but I'd be a little careful just because it is eBay. If you already have 10.3 installed, MegaMacs has a passable price for a legit Tiger upgrade DVD:

http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php?cat=15010&find_only=&action=view&pid=3138148

If you're a student or work at an educational institution, you can get a very nice price direct from Apple, too.