TIGER AND CLASSIC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Apr 12, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

This has not been talked about.. And I found little on apples site about classic with Tiger.. Has the support been dropped!? I wanna play power pete man! :p

2. AppleAce macrumors regular

Gotta love those exploding birthday cakes. Power Pete is great! And so are a bunch of other old games, Scarab of Ra, Warlords, Infotron, Civilization, and many other 68k era games regularly.
    I *hope* they haven't dropped classic support, that would really suck. Uh-oh, there's no Classic preference pane in system prefs http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/systempreferences/ not good That would also mean no more original Unreal Tournament, Noooooooooo!!! Hopefully they get the OS X port done soon! http://www.utpg.org/
    Does anyone know for sure if classic is not in Tiger?

3. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

They may just not have Classic installed on the demo computer.

4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

The classic preference panel remains hidden until you run your first classic app.

They have not removed it, but they seem to not want people to know about it unless they need to...

5. AppleAce macrumors regular

Alright, thanks. I suppose Apple will eventually remove classic support, sometime down the road though. OS 11 maybe?

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think that by time they do few enough people will need it and getting a pre-OS X machine will be cheap enough that those who need Classic can just pick up a dedicated OS 9 box.

7. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

god i hope so. i doubt it but i really hope so

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Exactly how does Classic support adversely affect you or your computing experience?

9. RacerX macrumors 65832

If you've been playing Unreal Tournament in Classic all this time, that is a little sad. There has been a Mac OS X port since late 2001 (here).

I don't know why you thought there wasn't one... you might want to ask about these things earlier. :eek: Four years is a long time to be playing a game in Classic that was already out for Mac OS X. I've been using it since 10.1 (requires 10.0.4 or higher).

Best of luck with your new game.

10. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

it doesnt... it affects my job experience

11. SAukland macrumors member

Sure... drop support for OS 9 Classic at OS11...

But OS X Classic will be needed then! :p

What a dangerous cycle.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK then, how does it negatively affect your job experience?

13. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

in my case, I use Brio Enterprise which only runs in classic. I have found no other usable substitute. Also, Outlook in classic still suits my needs better than Entourage.

14. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

because as long as classic support exists Apple will continue to support it in terms of troubleshooting and such. And answering dumb os9 questions is annoying. People need to just buy osx or all osx applications and live in the now. As long as apple supports it people will continue to be stubborn

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

So you are concerned about Apple's finances? You would like our favorite fruit company to reduce its work force? Well, let me assure you that Apple is doing just fine. You need not be concerned.
    What about MacOS 9 smart questions? If your job requires your to answer "dumb os9 questions" that go against your sensiblities, you should seek other employment. "It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    People need? People need food, clothes, and shelter. People need love, medicine, and understanding. Computers are tools. If someone has a tool that works for them, there is no need to replace it. The money they spend on a new computer may better be spent on a new widescreen TV. The money they spend on new software may be better spent on tickets to a Washington Nationals game.
    When Apple drops Classic support, it will not suddenly stop working. A lot of people will refuse to upgrade to any new OS that does not support Classic. Others will hold on to their MacOS 9-bootable computers until they fall apart. If your most fervent hope comes true, it will actually hurt Apple sales.

16. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

I'm with you

I hear ya. I'm the only one running OSX here, and I'm sick of fixing everyone elses OS9 problems. Trying to convince the 9 users that it's time to switch already is getting annoying!

17. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

wow, i'm sorry but that was a really assinine response. lecturing me about apple and its position is quite comical.

It is beneficial for a platform to be uniform. It helps all of us. And there is no such thing as a smart OS9 question since the answer too all of these questions is most likely "Get OSX". Hurt apple sales? A minute ago you said they were doing fine. Besides if people were forced to stop being so stubborn and hanging on to an obsolete OS they will finally buy the software they actually need. People want their cake and eat it too. They want to be current on some things but then have everything else be old and to work flawlessly. If you want your old stuff use a computer with OS9, thats your perogative.

OS9 is a tumor on OSX. Its time is over.

18. newton213 macrumors member

LOL, EXACTLY, that's gotta' be THE BEST way I've ever heard that said. I hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna' use that one myself. OS 9 is a tumor on OS X's ASS!!

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Take a business course. Heck, ask a business professor. Perhaps, he will take the time to explain the concept to you.
    Stubborn? When you get a real job, you are going to learn that in the greater scheme of things in the world, stubborness is one of the least important. But, look. In the real world, real people choose the tools that they feel are best suited to do real work for real money. Despite your limited experience, there are many people out there who use MacOS 9 or even older operating systems because the software needed for their jobs is not available on MacOS X. This is a difficult concept for you to understand now, but you will understand it when you grow up.
    You would rather people use MacOS 9 on old computers than use Classic on new computers. You have made that point clear. Apple Computer disagrees with you. So do I.
    People who have real tumors take offense.

20. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

I have Mac OS X 10.3.8

And If i wanna run Classic, do I need to buy a copy of Mac OS or how does it work?

21. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Classic is MacOS 9, somewhere between version 9.0.4 and 9.2.2. The newer, the better. Every Macintosh that ships with MacOS X also ships with MacOS 9. Some ship with MacOS 9 preinstalled. Others require you to install it from the disks that shipped with your computer. This will vary from model to model. If you want help, you will have to give the Mac model and the approximate date of purchase. But the bottomline is that you should not have to buy anything else to get Classic if you are the first owner of your computer.

22. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

classic most likely won't be dropped... Windows XP still runs "classic" items from Windows 95!

23. Bear macrumors G3

Who knows if this will still be true for macs that are released after Tiger is available?

At some point Apple will stop shipping Classic with new machines. And probably with one of the next two OS releases after that happens they will drop support for Classic.

24. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have a firm grasp of the obvious. However, I was responding to a question from joey4127 about the computer that he owns now, not the computer that he will own in some distant future.

25. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I use Classic to view MrSid images. I know of know other program that can views these. And at first glance, the site above no longer even offers the free viewer but I know you can still get it here.

Worst case scenario, I'll use a G3 iBook at my pad which won't be getting Tiger.