Tiger and Current Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacSA, Mar 16, 2005.

1. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

How much of the software that's currently available for mac OSX is going to work with the forthcoming Tiger 10.4? It would be pretty bad to upgrade or switch and find a lot of software doesn't work or have to wait months for software updates. :eek:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

most software will work without a hitch, most companies will release updates rather fast if there are issues

to be on the safe side, when Tiger comes out, back up your system so that if a critical app that you need to work doesn't you can go back to Panther until an update or fix is released

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I would say that at least 95% of all current apps will work, and another 4.9% of apps will require small rebuilds and minor code changes that developers with the pre-builds of Tiger may already have done, or should do within a week of Tiger going public. About the only thing that may require larger re-toolings are interface haxies and such. All major apps will certainly function perfectly.

If in the off chance that you install Tiger, and an app doesn't work, check the developer's website and you're more than likely to find a small updater to make it work with 10.4

4. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

I don't have a Mac yet lol..... i'm waiting for Tiger to come out, and maybe updates to the hardware :)

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

This thread brings up something I've been meaning to ask, what is the best way to actually go about upgrading from Panther to Tiger?

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The best way would be to back-up all your data and do an Erase & Install upgrade. There is also an option Archive and Install that will only replace your system folder, though some argue that it can cause inconsistancy and problems.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

some people will do a complete wipe and install, some will do an archive and install, some will just do the upgrade option, depends on what you think is best

if i have a chance to back up everything before i get Tiger i will probably do a complete wipe of my hard dive and install, but its really not neccissary

some people will say that the upgrade option shouldnt be used, but there are no issues with going that route

8. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

.....That's completely different to what I was asking about. :rolleyes: Why didnt you start a different thread?

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

You mean when you say "upgrade" in your original post someone shouldn't ask about upgrading? Sorry but I can't see your point, it's an obvious question to ask since I'm interested in which would be the best way to get the software I have now working with Tiger - which is what you actually asked!

But thanks for the rolled eyes :)

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

It seemed that your question was completely answered, and if you are still looking more more exact information to your question feel free. As the second question is about upgrading, if it can be answered here without clogging up the forums with another thread all the better.

It's not like he was asking about Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters or something.

11. MacSA thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

My point is that you hijacked the thread - totally changing the subject........ I wasnt asking about how to upgrade From Panther, I was asking if current software will work with OSX Tiger.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Most all of it will all "work" with Tiger, but...

It will not take advantage of any Tiger specific features until it has been recompiled with the Tiger libraries -- when that happens, the software with have a works with Mac OS X v10.4+ stamped in the specs.

And there are some darned good reasons for some BIG apps to recompile their apps for Tiger's updated developer features.

Edit: there may be a couple odd apps that "break" with Tiger, but they usually end up being apps that include .kext files or take advantage of something to add features/eyecandy to the OS/GUI.

13. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I have Microsoft Office X. The original, not 2004 version. Any hope for it?