Tiger and "grace period"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jhomayne, Mar 22, 2005.

1. jhomayne macrumors regular

I'm about to have a stolen iBook replaced by the insurance company (finally! i've had enough hold music to last a lifetime!) and though i'm pleased to be having the speed upgrade and iLife, i'm slightly annoyed that i might miss out on Tiger.

now, i seem to remember something about a 'grace period' regarding software updates like this, in that if you buy something just before an upgrade one can get the upgrade for free or cheaper? i may be imagining this but what are the chances of me getting Tiger if i'm given a new Panther-iBook in the next few weeks?

cheers

:)

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Despite the flurry of rumours, no-one knows when Tiger will be released except for a select few at Apple.

Many say April 1st or 15th. I personally find that hard to believe...
    We could all still be waiting for another 2-3 months.

3. vieoray macrumors regular

who knows, everything is just a rumor until it actually happens. if i recall correctly, the grace period you are referring to applies if you get a system the day of the announcement or after if it doesn't ship with the new OS or software.

4. jhomayne thread starter macrumors regular

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Otherwise I think you'll pay $20 but that could also be a rumor.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It ends up being the luck of the draw. Tiger could be released anytime between now and June 30th, personally I'm looking at the 24th. If you aren't in a hurry for your Mac, then wait until after Apple announces the release date for Tiger. I'm also hoping the Steve will offer the release party again. With Panther if you purchased the Panther, then you could get a Mac at a 10% discount.

7. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't say such scary things. Please... I'm going absolutely batty waiting for Tiger.

8. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

It worked for me... somehow. I don't remember how i went about it.... but it ended up costing only $20. AND a generous (and rule breaking) apple store employee gave me a free copy for another computer... wht a deal, huh? Those New Yorkers sure are a nice crowd.

9. vtprinz macrumors 6502

if you order the computer on or after the date of the announcement then you get a discount when tiger starts shipping. otherwise you pay full price. It's possible that the announcement will be on april 1st, with shipping around april 15th, but it might be later than that.