Tiger and MS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by crazedbytheheat, Apr 24, 2005.

1. crazedbytheheat macrumors regular

Aug 23, 2003
    Has anyone had a chance to try out Office and Virtual PC with Tiger? I saw that MS was planning to release updates to both of these products, so I'm leary of putting X.4 on my primary work machine. Any problems with these so far?
  2. Belisarius macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2003
    South Carolina
    After an admittedly cursory check, it seems that they all work fine. Virtual PC won't use the virtual switch for networking at this point, but shared networking seems to work without problems. As for Word & Excel, they both opened and allowed me to make new documents. I didn't check much past that.

3. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2003
    New Virtual PC Installs are pretty broken, in my experience - If you rely on VPC I would not upgrade until the app is updated.

Office seems fine, fortunately.
  4. homer_simpson macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2005
    i bought virtual pc 7 with xp pro a couple of weeks ago and i must say performance is very much improved compared to virtual pc 6. it will not handle your power hungry apps but will do the basics

i've had a go with office for mac and again it seems fab, entourage was excellent too
  5. crazedbytheheat thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 23, 2003
    Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Unfortunately we have a few MS only apps that I have to run for work (ironically both deal with the web and collaboration, go figure). I had an earlier version of Tiger, but it was eating my office files left and right, so I re-installed Panther. I really liked the new features, esp. spotlight, dashboard, and Java 5.