Tiger and Powerpoint 2004 problems...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ftaok, May 28, 2005.

1. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Just wanted to see if others were having this problem. Ultimately, the problem is solvable, but it's a hassle.

Here's the deal. With Powerpoint vX and Jag, I was able to incorporate pictures from the Internet (gifs, jpgs, etc.) and the files will work fine on a Windows PC. However, since upgrading to Tiger and Office 2004 at the same time, I found out that graphics imported into Powerpoint 2004 will not be displayed correctly on Windows Powerpoint. On Windows, the placeholder for the graphic is there, however instead of the picture, there's a message saying that a Quicktime or TIFF converter is required. I'm thinking this has something to do with QT7.

The solution was to either convert the images to "Microsoft Office Format" or to re-do the slides on a PC. Converting the images makes the file size jump BIG TIME. So I went with re-doing the slides on a PC.

So for the Mac users who need to share Office files with Windows users, keep this in mind before you send files to your colleagues, clients, etc.

Also, I'm thinking this problem would show up on Excel and Word as well, but I haven't tried it.

Hope this helps.

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

this is how i fix that problem.

Download your images, do NOT drag and drop your images onto powerpoint, instead goto the menubar and find "Insert Image" or something like that. It will work fine then.

PowerPoint on the mac is sorely lacking, that's why i bought iWork so I could use Keynote, which blows the hell outta powerpoint on the mac. If you're a student, $50 for iWork and you get Pages and Keynote. If you do lots of presentations I highly recommend it, it can even export to powerpoint for you if you want to do that.

3. ftaok thread starter macrumors 601

ftaok

Thanks. I'll give it a try. However, I would like to note that I didn't have this problem with Powerpoint vX, OS X 10.2.8. I did use the drag'n'drop method with both vX and 2004. vX produced files that were 100% Windows compatible and 2004 didn't. Might be a bug with Powerpoint or something to do with QT7.

I wonder if others have had this issue.

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

no, it's new in 2004 it seems. not a quicktime bug. as far as i'm concerned it shouldn't require QT for a damn powerpoint presentation with images. microsoft screwed this one up. hence my buy of keynote, which blows powerpoint outta the water.

just do as i mentioned above and you can avoid the problem, make sure you add the images from the menu item otherwise it won't work on a PC

5. hhlee macrumors 6502

I've done a lot of presentations with powerpoint in the last 2 years. To do these presentations, I had bought an iBook but my main machine remained a PC. There were definitely problems with images and such between the two platforms prior to Tiger. I remember spending just a little amount of time back then on google trying to figure out why that happened. I remember something about QuickTime or image formats. Regardless, I vowed to just do my presentations on the mac (there's always an option to connect an external monitor on now). Recently, I've started to use Keynote, which is great. One problem, unfortunately, is that Keynote doesn't always export to Powerpoint format properly. Since Keynote is still a minority software, distribution of presentations become more difficult (especially when you have embedded animations). Powerpoint is crap in comparison. I wish everyone would switch to Keynote or that they would make one uniform format for presentations.