Tiger: Any hacks to enable trackpad scrolling yet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by micsaund, May 18, 2005.

1. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

I won't get started on how Apple does not include trackpad scrolling for my 1.33 PB15 simply because it's now a "feature" to get people to upgrade, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a hack to enable the trackpad scrolling in 10.4.1 on recent PBs? I was using the iScroll2 hack with Panther, but at the moment, Tiger support seems spotty (possible kernel panics/etc.) so I'd rather just use the built-in scrolling if possible.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I'm using sidetrack. It's a good app and it's not too expensive. It works with Tiger- working right now, and is very customizable - like having corners to open apps/do key combinations and all sorts of other stuff. Very worth it.

BTW I use PB G3 500 Pismo

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Some shots of it working (it's a pref pane)

Attached Files:

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

iScroll2 is working quite well for me and I'm using an older version, 0.17, not the latest, which may still be 0.21.

If you're waiting for Apple to support an older machine, don't.

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

iScroll all the way, and it's free on version tracker.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I use sidetrack too. I had already started using it before iScroll became available, and Alex who develops it is just a good guy. :)

8. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i can vouch for iscroll2

good program

works great on my ibook :)

9. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I use iScroll2 and have only minor problems. I did try Sidetrack and loved the features like hot corners on the trackpad and using the sides for scrolling, but I wasn't willing to pay for it and the nag screen drove me crazy.

I didn't realized that the preferences pane had been completely redone for iScroll2 v0.20. I went from version .17 to v.22 and could not figure out how to enable the scrolling. After embarrassing myself by asking the author about the situation did I figure it out.

The only problem with iScroll2 I have is the settings get reset after restarting. I always have to go in and change them back. Luckily I only restart my laptop when absolutely necessary (system updates) so the issue isn't big.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

BTW, did I understand that with iScroll, the circular scrolling is only vertical, and cannot do horizontal as well? I guess that more or less makes sense...I don't know how it would do both. Just curious. Of course you can use linear scrolling in iScroll2 also. Sidetrack does seem to have more corner tap type options, although I only use one corner tap (I use the upper right corner to be a the right mouse button).