Tiger - Archive & Install or Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

I've not had the experience of moving from Jaguar to Panther, so I am trying to decide whether to do an upgrade or an "archive and intall" with the preserve user and network settings. What will I have to do manually if I do the archive & install? Will this affect my preferences, fonts, contextual menu items, etc? I'd like some advice before I do my Tiger install.

2. GreeneGirl7 macrumors regular

GreeneGirl7

3. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I just did an archive and install, and everything is working perfectly... only 1 problem, I seem to of lost all my Mail... not a big deal for me, but make sure you backup that if its important to you.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Do you mean that your Mail messages were lost in your Archive file. That should be the safest way with no files lost. It is also smart to make a backup on an external Firewire HD.

5. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I found out that there was a plugin problem with Mail, causing it to not set up properly. I got it working (and all my mail back :D )

now, only one other problem, I cant seem to get Doom 3 to run, it immediately crashes before it loads.... but thats the only problem at the moment