Tiger as Primary OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Motha-Canuker, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Motha-Canuker macrumors newbie

just wondering who is running Tiger as there primary OS...and what problems they've run into

just a curiosity question...im not a developer...i dont have a copy of tiger.....unless one of yall are willing to gimme your copy :p

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Well, I'm not. But, I tried it for about two weeks. Seeing that you can't play iTMS music, iDisk syncing doesn't work properly (I wish they would update our developer copies, seeing that I want to play with the new .Mac features...) and a few other issues (I would have to re-install a few apps to get them working correctly), I didn't find it worth it as a main OS. Others may, but it's just way too buggy to use first. Although I do boot into it a lot to do app testing.
    –Chase

3. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

The technician at our store has the WWDC preview of Tiger running on his TiBook, and the only complaint he has is that Toast sometimes can't unmount certain media. A rather minor problem, really. For all of his purposes (how many people actually use iDisk?), it works just fine.

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

A few hundred thousand people have .Mac, of which iDisk is a very large component. A great deal of people use the iDisk.

I wish people would stop minimizing the importance or impact of .Mac. Just because most people here have cheaper alternatives doesn't mean it isn't a valuable service to thousands of others.

5. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Oh certainly, many people use .Mac, but what's the percentage? I wouldn't be willing to guess it to be any more than 10%, and that's being very liberal. Why should I pay $99 a year for a half ass antivirus, and 250MB of storage space when I can get myself 1GB of space at a number of free sites? I've never found it to be a valuable service so much as just a service.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...please...the .mac debates have been done to death...thanks...oh yeah!

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I ran it as the primary OS on my PowerBook for a month or two.. it was just so freaking slow that I eventually uninstalled it. It seems to have been an isolate incident with my installation, though.

8. Motha-Canuker thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, so i guess the people who do have the wwdc copy...LEGALLY...are pretty much saying, its not totally unstable, but its still risky to use? have i got that right?

what about new builds...to all who have a wwdc copy....did apple send you updated builds? or did they just send via software update to fix problems like the iDisk and toast issues?

just out of curisoity...have any of yall tried the 3 way video chat? is it as cool as it sounds??

oh and how is dashboard? does it run fine?

i have a 17" PB..rev A...1gb ram...im waiting until its released...but with all the cool features like dashboard and 3way video....do you think my computer can handle it?

sorry if these questions have been asked before...im just really looking fwd to next july or whenever its released

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Yes

There have been a couple of updates available, but not sent out via mail

Never tried it

Everything on my comp ran fine about it except for the animation when you pull a new widget out

By the time it is released it should run as fast, if not faster, than Panther on your computer

10. Motha-Canuker thread starter macrumors newbie

11. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I don't believe developers even have access to a lot of the new features, such as three way audio chat, H.264 (I know it doesn't work on my G5, although it's an option in QuickTime), etc.
    –Chase