Tiger Bug, new windows don't appear

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrSugar, May 19, 2005.

1. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Hi,

I did a search on this topic and was unable to find anything. I haven't read of anyone else having this problem and I wonder if it is just me. Perhaps someone will have some insight on how I can fix it.

In Tiger after I have been logged in and had my computer on for a day or more sometimes new windows won't show up. For example, if I open safari and hit command N nothing shows up. A right click on the safari icon shows my new window but I see nothing on the desktop. I can make many new windows and none will appear. This happens with more programs too, such as TextMate, Preview, Azureus, etc.

What could be causing this, does anyone have any idea how to fix it?

PS. never happend in Panther. Also, Tiger was a clean install, and I am running Tiger 10.4.1. Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This might not help but I had the same problem a few years ago with XP. I eventually found out that I'd set my graphics card to span the screen and so all the new windows were coming up on some imaginary screen that the computer thought was connected. Have you got the screen-spanning hack?

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah that same problem affects OS X - I unplugged my second display then couldn't find any of my windows! The 'Gather Windows' function brings them all back onto the primary display.

A hack isn't necessary, screen spanning is built into the OS.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I misread his sig as having an iBook in which case, to do anything useful with a second display, you need a hack. Thanks though, I edited my post. :)

What's the "Gather Windows" function?

5. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I too know how this can happen, I had a buddy that lost his windows on another monitor that he didn't have hooked up.

However, this is not the problem I am having here. My windows simply do not show up. Not on expose, or anything. I have 2 monitors hooked up right now and OSX has both detected correctly.

Any other thoughts?

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Sometimes at random keyboard shortcuts don't work. Very frustrating.... and the cause for maybe your window not appearing because the command isn't sent?

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

maybe a preference file needs to be deleted, but i can't check which one right now because of being at work.

hospitals using windows T_T

8. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Hi there,

I am sure it's not a keyboard shortcut problem. I have tried doing it through the file menus as well. But thanks for the input.

Also, I would love to hear what file you think needs to be cleared to fix the problem. Any help I can get is great!

Thanks