Tiger " Bugs " The Crap Outta me!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by forthebrave, May 16, 2005.

1. forthebrave macrumors regular

I don't know if I have bad karma, or if soemone is tryng to tell me to get outside more often but.... TIGER seems to be eating away at my computer!! Started off with Quicktime 7 Pro playing back certain .AVI's choppy, then taking the sound out of certain .movs and mpgs. Now VLC is crashing on me and Safarai QUITS on me everytime I close a window. Anybody else having this kind of luck?? Tried repairing permissions, but no dice.

2. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

did you do an Upgrade, Archive, or Clean Install?

a lot of people are noticing Tiger Bugs when they just did a simple Upgrade. Doing an Archive and Install or Clean Install fixes many problems found in Tiger Upgrades.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Try, in Terminal:

sudo periodic daily
    sudo periodic weekly
    sudo periodic monthly
    sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

Zap PRAM and NVRAM: do a complete shut down, and then hold P-R-CMD-OPT during startup until you hear the scond chime.

Let us know.

4. mnstr_trd_sd macrumors regular

mnstr_trd_sd

I'm having problems with safari also. The scroll bar gets chopped up when i scroll through a site with lots of pictures( ie: gettyimages). Also when importing files through email, mail decides to convert my ai or photoshop files to flattened jpegs.

I also did the upgrade and not the full install. I cant afford to take the time to reinstall every one of my apps. I hope apple fixes this soon :mad:

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Archive and install is your friend. The happy medium, for medium people. At least it was with Panther. I haven't installed Tiger yet.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Well I did a clean install on my PM and Photoshop is consistenly crashing in the browser view now.

My iMac G5 was an archive and install and iPhoto wouldn't stay open for more than two minutes without shutting down.

Hoping 10.4.1 fixes the glitches. *shrug*.

7. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

My first Mac is coming sometime this week with a copy of Tiger in the box... after viewing this thread, I'm thinking that I should clean install it just to be safe... will it give me this option? I'm just curious what the interface of the switch from Panther to Tiger will be...

Daniel

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well iPhoto isn't shutting down for me. Therefore 10.4.1 won't magically fix your problem (i.e. if only you are having the problem then it is probably something amiss on your computer - corrupted preferences, library, etc. while if everyone was having the same problem then it's an app problem)

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Same problem on two different computers, and threads miles long over at Apple's support.

Most people find 4,000 images to be the point where iPhoto starts to choke (if they have problems at all).

So you're telling me that unless every user is having the same problem it's a non-issue? That's not the way software bugs work, Jon.

10. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Shouldn't it come with Tiger pre-installed?

11. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

What do ya'll think of the Mail app?
    I'm disappointed.

12. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

there's this cute program called firefox you should try :)

13. benwa02 macrumors 6502

So far I am experiencing no problems with Tiger, atleast none that I know of. I chose the clean install.

14. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

I'm one of the few lucky ones with absolutely no problems with Tiger whatsoever. :D :D :D

15. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

I did a clean install, and I've noticed plenty of bugs. Most are just pests (like two Help menus showing up in Quicktime, the Dashboard freezing mid-transition and then fixing itself 5 seconds later, etc) but one is driving me nuts. Blank CDs and DVDs aren't showing up in the Finder sidebar/Desktop. So I have to put everything into a burn folder, press burn and get the notice to insert a CD, then insert the CD. I REALLY hope X.4.1 fixes this. Otherwise I'm thankful for the invention of burn folders - they've saved my burning life so far.

16. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Quicktime seems to refuse to play .avi's for me these days..don't know what happened with it..

Tiger install seemed to go well for me, haven't really had too many problems - and I prefer Mail 2!

I agree with iPhoto choking with more than 4000 images, I'm up to 6000 and it's horrible to work with. Guess I could do with more than the 512MB RAM. I wish Google would release Picasa2 for the Mac.

17. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

same here... did a clean install...

18. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I did a clean install on my G5 and I have run into quite a few problems.

First, programs at times don't allow new windows to show up. For instance in Safari if you use command N you see your window pop up when right clicking on the dock icon, but you never see it on your desktop. Only a logout / login works to fix it.

Second, preview is messed up, it crashes, it runs worse, and it sometimes loses the borders and only shows the photo in the middle of the screen.

Third, finder is buggy at times, when clicking on folders it sometiems gets messed up and even a re-launch doesn't fix it. I have to restart.

To say the least, I can't go more than 7 or 8 days without having to do a restart. On panther I went 121 strait without a re-boot. I think tiger was rushed. Overall, I am not a happy camper. It doesn't run nearly as fast as Steve showed it at the demo's. I even have a dual 2ghz g5.

19. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Nope, they aren't doing that yet on anything except the PowerMacs.

Dan

20. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I did a clean install and have next to no problems. I had a little trouble with iphoto 5 at first, with it crashing, but I repaired permissions and rebooted and since then things have been peachy. Even my itunes controller widget doesn't lag or have any problems.

21. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

after getting my mom excited about a new eMac for her and OSX, I am starting to get worried. I set up her new refurb eMac this weekend and will take all the advice I can get.
    Has anyone gotten a new Mac with tiger installed, and have any advice?

22. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Clean install here. One bug that's driving me nuts is that the last hidden application reveals itself when I wake from sleep or screensaver. Even when logging in, one of my "Login Items" apps always reveals itself, even though they are all set to hide at login.

23. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be discouraged by what you read. I would say there are probably at least 10 people (prolly more) with zero problems for every 1 problem you read on here.

24. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Here in UK they all say "shipped with Tiger". The eMac that arrived on Monday had Tiger preinstalled.

25. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Well I live in the U.S. We suck. Big time.

Daniel