Tiger Build 8A420 Seeded

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daveL, Mar 23, 2005.

1. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Only 6 days after 8A414. Most bugs from the last seed seem to be fixed. Most of the areas to test involve external peripherals and 3rd party apps.

2. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

oooh how do u know......are u developer, beta tester??? Cos if this be true..very exciting and could make front page news...and adds to the rumors of an April release date.

3. daveL thread starter macrumors 68020

daveL

4. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I am not sure if you are allowed to comment. But how are things looking. Do u see a possible GM in the near future(next week)....or are u leaning to a later release date than april.

Thanks
    DjVoTeZ

5. daveL thread starter macrumors 68020

daveL

I've always been leaning towards a later release, but then there's always the possibility that developers aren't seeing the latest internal builds as soon as they are available. This is, by far, the quickest turnaround for a Tiger seed update (6 days). With Panther, we had a number of such quick seeds leading up to the GM. If the rumors of a April 1st announcement and April 15th ship date are true, there will only be one more seed, and it will be the GM. I'm still not convinced that these rumored dates will hold, but I haven't been able to test this latest seed, either.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As another Select member, I've also been monitoring the Tiger releases. This one is much better than the last one, at least in my opinion, in terms of stability. It just "feels" better.

Since I don't know what the lag time is between Apple releasing a build internally and doing so externally, I have no idea how far along the "current" Tiger release might be.

8A420 suggests to me that an April release is possible, assuming that Apple has more advanced versions in-house. I can certainly believe a pre-WWDC release is a possibility. However, the fact that this build, after a half hour of playing, seems to run fine on my system doesn't mean that it is in fact almost ready for release - just that it isn't as clearly not ready as previous beta releases.

There, I don't think that violates any non-disclosure agreements.

7. daveL thread starter macrumors 68020

daveL

Man , you must have a fast connection ... The seed download will take me a number of hours on my 512Kb DSL line, but I have to finish the Ubuntu Linux 0405 preview d/l first.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

4Mb/s, baby! Plus, I happened to notice it on the site prior to the email.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Cool.

Although I'm still sceptical about the April brouhaha, I would still bank on the intuition of an ADC member over the shipping dates provided by Amazon... or the metaphorical chicken entrails of endless submissions.

10. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Is iDisk working now?

Also, how is syncing with iDisk in general? It was pretty poor in Panther (speed, corrupting, etc.) Did this get an overhaul and is it now truly usable?

(I have three Macs, so iDisk is critical to me. And files change all of the time, so I really need it to be solid...)

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've switched back to Panther for "real" work (not because Tiger's unusable, just because I don't install my apps on it), so I can't confirm iDisk reliability, just that it seemed to be OK before (I think I played with it; it wasn't a priority) and I doubt it's worse.

I think many iDisk problems are due to Apple overloading their servers, but I could be wrong. I don't see why it would be intermittently slow and laggy if it were solely a Panther issue. Granted, Panther contributed to the problems, but I don't think Tiger can magically fix them all.

12. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yeah, although in the last seed, it didn't work.

I suspect GM is only weeks away! ;)

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

14. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I don't think that the A is for alpha, of a B would be for Beta. It's also not hex either. Note that the current build of Panther is 7U16 (and the GM of Panther was 7Bxx) I don't think that the letter really means anymore than the the numbers do.

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yeah... I wonder if new features added could raise the "letter" involved.... :confused:

16. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

It a code branch thing. Not Alpha, Beta, etc.

17. daveL thread starter macrumors 68020

daveL

Features have been frozen for a *very* long time. I think Apple is staying with the current version numbering to keep people from trying to read anything into the current code branch (the "A", "B" etc.). With Panther, when the seeds went to "B", everyone knew it was coming down the home stretch.

18. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The news that the major bugs listed as being in the previous seed are fixed in this seed makes me VERY happy. This means that Tiger is getting very close to being release-ready. I won't be able to become an ADC Select member until after Tiger is released; that is for certain. What's less clear is if I won't be able to do it until after 10.5 (I simply don't have the money or motivation to become an ADC Select member right now).

19. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

So the bug fixes that have yet to be stamped out are like contol panels not quite working right or something minor, right? All the big technology leaps in this release are pretty much stable or only have minor glitches that can be fixed in the last few days?

20. daveL thread starter macrumors 68020

daveL

Nothing major was listed in the seed note, for what that's worth. The areas of testing were 3rd party app compatibility and 3rd party peripherals (firewire, non-Apple USB etc.).

21. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

It's downloading extremely slowly for me. Only 231MB after almost an hour. Anyone else going really slow? I have cable.

22. daveL thread starter macrumors 68020

daveL

I would imagine the site is getting hammered, especially with all the rumors about Tiger's imminent release.

23. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

It took me over 12 hours to download the last seed!

24. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

It seems the fact that Tiger is not installing on iBooks has been overlooked.
    The release notes that all bugs have been fixed and only one remains. Tiger is failing to install from DVD to the 14" 1.33ghz iBooks. I wonder why this is an isolated occurance, anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

BTW: I feel an April release is imminent.

25. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think we are supposed to be discussing anything speicif about the release, including the release notes.