Tiger: Built-In Pivot Function

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Diatribe, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

As the title says, apparently Tiger will sport a built-in Pivot function without the need of a special video card or driver, according to Macbidouille.
    Sweeet, I say. :D

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Building a feature like this into an operating system requires some internal changes:

1. Assumptions in Quartz about aspect ratios being bigger on the left than on the right (as an example, a typical (landscape) CRT aspect ratio is 4:3) need to be eliminated.
    2. The graphics drivers Apple ships will need to be tweaked to be compatible with change #1.
    3. The Monitors pane of System Preferences needs major revisions to allow access to all the possibilities such a feature opens up.

Once all of those are in place, the only things preventing this feature from being used are whether or not the monitor supports rotation and whether or not it is physically stable when rotated.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Should be, Nvidia and ATI drivers for Windows have supported this with any monitor for a while.

Ahh, finally I'll be able to hang my display upside down ;P

(seriously though, this guy I know has his display hanging above his desk upside down with it's base tied to the bottom of the bed - and I'd like to try it to free some deskspace.)

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Heh that actually sounds cool...

As for the thread, about time! Windows (through nVidia/ATI drivers) supported this for ages. About time for OS X to get this.

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

This sounds good. I've been contemplating getting a Dell LCD which pivots, and I'd like to be able to use that feature in OS X. The el' cheapo wintel boxes at work do this easily, and it's been bothering me that my Mac can't do the same.

6. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

The big question is if it's autosensing. Back in the Classic Mac OS days, if you had a pivoting monitor, the pivot would automatically be detected and the screen would change to reflect the pivot. I don't have a pivoting display, otherwise I'd test it out. Any developer out there that can?
    -Chase

7. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

8. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

As far as auto-sensing goes, the display would have to tell the computer that it was rotated. I don't think most pivoting displays have a built-in sensor to accomplish this.

9. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

or the computer can remember such and such display was or wasnt rotated but it would cause probs if you had 2 identical ones and only wanted one tilted still its better than no auto sensing

10. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Let me know how that goes.

11. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Maybe this means we'll see some pivoting ACDs revealed at WWDC. I love those pivoting displays, but find little use in them for me.