Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

staka69

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2005
I have convinced my uncle to buy an Apple over an Windows PC, cuz I was sick of removing virus/adware from his system which I built for him a few years back (he has 3 daughters always IM and downloading stuff).

I'm taking him to compusa tomorrow, showing him the mini and the iMac.

My question to you folks, he needs to be able to burn DVD's. He uses programs like Fabdvd and dvd cloner on XP, and programs like dvd Idle pro removes any protection the dvd's may have.

I'm a windows person myself (Although I have switched my laptop to suse 9.3 pro cuz I was sick of windows, still have my media center 2005 pc though), anyway I found Toast 7 can burn DVDs for the mac, BUT cannot copy protected DVD's.

I also came across the program, Mac the ripper, but confused as to what this program does, does it burn dvd's?

Oh, I told my uncle not to get the super drive, just the dvd/cd burner and to keep his external Plextor burner which is less than a month old, it will work right, to burn dvd's that is.

Thanks a bunch.

Mike

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Actually, if you want to copy DVD's (that you already own of course, ;) ) you need Mac the Ripper and Toast 7. That's all. Be sure to grab mac the ripper now, because the official site is closed for legal reasons. Try to grab it from macupdate or versiontracker.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
Soulstorm said:
Actually, if you want to copy DVD's (that you already own of course, ;) ) you need Mac the Ripper and Toast 7. That's all. Be sure to grab mac the ripper now, because the official site is closed for legal reasons. Try to grab it from macupdate or versiontracker.

Or FastDVD copy, it is not free , but Toast 7 is not free either. Also Mac The Ripper's website was close yesterday, bu you can probably still find it somewhere else on the internet, probably in version tracker or possibly sourceforge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.