Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I have been recording with two M-Audio Nova microphones and an M-Audio MobeilPre USB for the last year using Logic 7.0. on my 1.6ghz powermac G5. Recently a major problem has arisen. During recording in both Logic and Garageband, there is a very loud intermittent beeping sound. Sometimes it is only once a minute, sometimes it is every few seconds. I know that there is no problem with the microphones or the cables because I tested recording without the microphones attached (recording straight from the preamp) and the problem was still there. I checked the M-Audio website but they have not updated the drivers for the MobilePre USB.

To test whether the problem was with the preamp, I simply connected my speakers directly to the preamp and used it as my main audio output (driver) and connected the mics. The preamp has an automatic mic-preview turned on when Phantom Power is activated: the preamp outputs the sound from the mics directly to the speakers without the need of a software app. When I did this I found that the mics worked fine and there was no beeping noise (it's kind of like a very loud high frequency click/beep when it happens). I went back into Logic and Garageband and they still recorded the click (it isn't a speaker problem because it is really in the recording and I can see it as a very short small peak).

This leads me to believe that there is something wrong with either the computer or the software. Since the problem occurred in both garageband and logic I can assume it is not a problem with either program. This leads me to believe that this is resulting from some kind of problem with the drivers in OS 10.4.1. That or there is a possibility that the problem is still with the output on the preamp to the computer, but I don't know why this would be.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or can they see what is causing this problem. It has become a major annoyance. Any help is welcome, thanks.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
Since I posted this I tried reinstallign the M-Audio firmware for OS 10.4.1 and it seems to have mostly stopped the problem. So, uh, yeah. Looks like the firmware was to blame. And stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.