Tiger, choices everywhere.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by netytan, Apr 25, 2005.

1. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Hey guys,

I was just wondering – stupidly I'm sure – which license I should get Tiger under. Currently I only own one Mac but that could change the the future. Obviously I wouldn't want to buy the single user license and have to buy another should I pick up another Mac :confused:.

That said the family license seems a little too expensive, especially if I never install it on another Mac. Why oh why do we have to choose :rolleyes:

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Mark.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Hello Mark,

Don't sell yourself short, your a proud Mac user. If you just have one Mac now, then just purchase the single version for $129. Then when and if you purchase a second Mac Tiger will come pre-installed.

3. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

What if he buys a used Mac that came out before Tiger was released, he'd have to buy Tiger again for it. Does Apple sell extra licenses? You buy the media and a license for $129, wouldn't it be good if you could buy extra licenses for $49-$69 each?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Amazon has it for $95 after rebate. Buy it there, and, if you need another copy in the future, odds are you could get it for the same price or less in a few months. Unless you're planning on installing Tiger on more than two non-new Macs, I'd say that's the way to go.

5. mersea macrumors regular

If the hypothetic mac's were to be bought from Apple, or new from any reseller, they would already have Tiger installed, no?

6. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I was wondering the same thing. I think Apple and its resellers should include a copy of Tiger with new Macs that are sold after the 29th. You have to remember that some of these new Macs were manufactured months ago and boxed up with Panther. Not sure if they'll open the boxes back up, install Tiger or just throw the disk in the box and tape it back up. I would hope that if you walked into an Apple store or reseller and bought a new Mac, the clerk would give you a free copy of Tiger to go with it. Something tells me that the answer is no...

I used to work at a Best Buy. We were selling PowerMac G5's with 10.2.7 installed and Panther has been out for a long time. When any Mac was bought off of our shelf, we didn't give them Panther for free. We had to sell it to them for $129. That might be Best Buy's policy, but other retailers might be different and give you a copy.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

When I bought my iMac, it was shortly after the Panther release. Mine came with Jaguar installed, but included the Panther disks for upgrading in the box. They didn't bother to reinstall the OS, but did include it. I imagine it will be the same in this case.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Two individual copies of OS X = $248
    5 licenses of OS X (per household) = $199

I think the choice is pretty clear.

9. xfactor11391 macrumors newbie

I actually bought mmy imac just before iLife '05 came out and I went back to the store and asked the guy and he said that apple would ship me a copy free of charge. Went back a week later and it was waiting for me there. Don't know if it will be the same with an OS but good luck :D

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You only own one Mac?

Every Mac Apple sells after next week will ship with Tiger PRE-INSTALLED.

So unless you go the EBay route, you will get Tiger free with any Macs you buy.

So just buy the single user license.

Oh, and if you can, get a student to buy it for you. $69 with education discount.

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

stupid question: why is tiger only $60 at ebay? is there anything wrong with the licence? the dealers seem to be o.k..

i heard there are some faulty tiger disks out there but they should be replaced by apple anyway.

andi

12. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

It's likely that people have installed it, made a copy of the Disc, and then sell on the proper software on ebay. Not very legal!
    If you can - get an education discount. If you have any kids in education, you can "buy it for them" and it's A LOT cheaper. $69!

13. auxplage macrumors 6502

"Buying it for them" is "not very legal" either if the kids are not the primary users.

14. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

if they use it at all, it's OK in my book. This POV is very extremist! You're still buying a license, which is better than not!

15. auxplage macrumors 6502

I know; I just thought it was funny how you had two contradictory viewpoints in your post.

16. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

i don't really see the contradiction?
    This is totally illegal.
    If they use the Mac at all for doing school work, then this is totally legal.
    Any questions?

17. auxplage macrumors 6502

I really, honestly thought that one has to be the primary user (I am not into legal things, so I am not sure 100%).

You said, "'buy it for them'." This is implying that the student will not actually be the primary user, and therefore, the OP, not the "possible student", would be using the machine as the primary user which, if I am correct, is illegal. Thus, it is contraditory to your first statement:

Have we all stretched the rules? Yes. To me a lie is a lie whether it be a "white lie", lying on your taxes, or lying under oath. All is wrong, period. The same with software, music or even books.

18. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I just read the tiger licensing agreement and it seems to me that:
    1. As long as a user is in full-time education
    2. As long at they will use the computer
    You can purchase a educational copy.

What's the deal with graduating? did you all phone apple and say "I'm not a student and want to pay you the discount back please" and then phone MS and do the same thing for office and ALL your student discount apps/hardware?
    You're not a student anymore, so how can you legitimize using a student license?!?

Of course you didn't - but the kind of thing your telling me about not getting a student copy even if you have a child who is in education is just as ridiculous!

What if i bought a copy for my parents of tiger using my student discount? How would you feel about that? (although they are about as computer-litterate as a pair of monkeys so not going to happen!)

19. pinto32 macrumors 6502

I will be the first to say it in this thread....

....the site admin and mods like us to avoid discussing things that could get them sued....

20. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Illegal? No.
    In violation of the ELUA? Yes.

There is a difference between the two that, I feel, is important enough to point out.

Is following the ELUA good for the Apple community? YES!

21. auxplage macrumors 6502

I just think that it is a fine line that is obviously not clearly defined. I would buy it for my grandparents with the student discount. The above was my idealist side speaking – not my pratical money saving side. I just would not use an education discount if I am not a student.

22. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I agree its a fine line.
    I just think for this thread - the guy has one copy already - very tempting than just to install it over again. I was suggesting that if he had a kid in school, this was an option, so at least he is on the line rather than over it.
    I too would use my student discount for buying items for family members, just as i would get a friend to buy something for me if they got staff discount etc.

23. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Uh...

It was a complete joke.

Sorry if just one winking smiley didn't make it clear.

24. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Hmm.....it would appear that my interpretation of your smiley, which I interpreted as an indication that you were a sinister snatcher of copywrited material bent on not paying for anything your entire life was incorrect. I apologize, and will retreat to discover my sense of humor. Hopefully, I'll find it.

...if I don't, I guess I could always get one off of Limewire...

Its kinda funny though, when I was new to macrumors, I made a similar scarcastic comment, and had someone jump on me like that (only a little more pompously), and here I did the same thing....oh well....