Tiger Clean Install Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluebull, May 3, 2005.

1. bluebull macrumors member

I have to clean install Tiger because when I tried to upgrade it could not verify my disk. I tried to repair the volume in Disk Utility but it didn't work. So, I guess I have to do a clean install which will wipe my hard drive. I'm backing up the files I really need, of which there are not many. I figured I could later use one of those programs that puts your iPod music back on your computer, so I'm not going to bother backing up my music. But will iLife still be there if i do a clean install? Do I need to back up my entire drive? All I have is a couple blank cds. I'm not going to do it until I know exactly what will happen. Please help.

2. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

You'll have to reinstall iLife so it won't be there. I did clean install and used the migration assistant to restore from a backup (a complete backup)... that was an experience I don't want to repeat.

3. bluebull thread starter macrumors member

I don't have my iLife disk. I just realized appleworks will be gone too. Is there any way I can upgrade to Tiger without an external hard drive?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is what I would do. First, move all of your applications to your user directory's apps directory. Then, do Archive and Install, but choose not to import users and settings. EVERYTHING should be put in the Previous Systems folder, which should be fairly safe even without backing up, since all that is happening is that all the files get put in a directory (so it should be hard to screw up!). I think you should move the apps to the user apps directory, because when I did this while leaving them in the system apps directory, everything was moved into previous system, except that apps were left in the apps directory, oddly, leaving me with multiple copies of Safari, etc. Which was fine once I figured out which one was which and deleted the 10.3 versions!

But then anyway, you should be able to copy your iLife apps from the previous system folder to the Apps folder. At the worst you will have to dig for some library files (I'm guessing this is the case with GarageBand, but iPhoto and iTunes will launch with just the app and no files in the library directory).

5. bluebull thread starter macrumors member

I'm confused by that. Do you mean move my applications folder into my home directory?

6. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I'm having the same issue...
    I backed up onto my iPod and DVDs.

One question though... Does the Clean Install put in Classic??

I also backed up apps on to DVDs (like Photoshop), does everyone think I'll be okay?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you look in your home dir, you will see another applications folder there. It should be pretty much empty. Yes, I am suggesting you temporarily stash them there, to keep them out of the prying hands of the upgrader. Otherwise you will have to go through the nuisance of ferreting out which versions of which apps go with Tiger and which with Panther.

8. bluebull thread starter macrumors member

I don't have an applications folder in my home directory (this may be because I am running 10.2.8), but I can certainly make one and place my apps in it. Shall I do that? And the home directory is safe from deletion in archive and install, right?

9. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Did the install get stuck on the first step? Was that "veryfying disk"? My daughters iMac did that, so I ran DiskWarrior, which found/fixed some thread errors. Tiger installed with no problems, after that.

DiskWarrior also helped my G4, which never made it past Tiger's "blue screen of death" at start-up. No worries, now.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, maybe Jaguar is different. I've never used it. But the idea of Archive and Install, as I understand it, is that if you do not import users, the whole home directory will be in:

/Previous Systems.localized/Previous System 1/Users/xxx

And everything else on your HD will be in the Previous System 1 directory too. That's supposed to include your apps, I thought, but for some reason some /all of them were copied over to the new /applications directory for me for some reason.

AFAIK, all of that still applies for Jaguar->Tiger upgrades.

11. bluebull thread starter macrumors member

mkrishnan - Thanks for your help, I'll move my apps to my home directory and try an archive and install tomorrow, and report how it goes.

aeolius - I left when I saw the first installation bar, so I don't know whether it was on the first step or not. But, I remember that it did get stuck on "verifying disk." When I tried to repair the disk in disk utility, it did find a thread error and some other error, but it couldn't fix it for some reason. Unfortunately I do not have Diskwarrior.

12. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Same here. Apple's disk app detected the thread problem, but could not fix it. Some searching on Google led to a review of DiskWarrior, which I ran to CompUSA and purchased.

13. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I just did the archive intall and it didn't work...

Bummed.

Guess Ill do my clean install tomorrow when I have more time to freak out. :D

14. bluebull thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I guess I'm getting it too then. Thanks.

15. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

My main question is, will apps (like AppleWorks, Photoshop) save on my iPod??

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Each application on your computer typically stores things in two or three places:

- The apps folder (this is where PS has the folder in which the actual PS application is contained)

- The Library folder in your home directory -- typically there is a preferences file in the preferences sub-folder, and sometimes (including with Adobe) there are files in other places, such as the ~/library/application support/adobe folder.

- The Library folder in the root directory of the boot drive -- Adobe also stores items in the application support folder, and possibly elsewhere here.

I am fairly sure that if you restore the directory for PS in applications, but not these other application support folders or other folders PS might have put in these directories, then PS will refuse to run. PSE3 at least is this way, because I tried exactly that when I was cleaning up for Tiger.

If you copy your entire user Library folder and root Library folder to the new installation, in addition to the files in the applications directory, they should run without trouble. But this will not be anything like doing a clean install.

17. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Well, see, the problem is, I need to do a clean install...

Gah, this stinks.

But, if I copy my Library to a DVD will it be okay? I already have the apps on my iPod and on DVDs. My entire Library will fit on one DVD.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, given that you will either have to import back the whole library (in which case, you are just doing a long, painful, and complicated version of archive and install) or go through your Library slowly and figure out piece-by-piece what you want to import. I did that for a couple of apps because I wanted to preserve large amounts of data stored in the Library (Mail and Adium) but it's a PITA.

Why don't you just get your parents, or whoever lives wherever your install disks are, to mail them to you? Or, ahem, if you don't *have* install disks, find someone else to help you. ;)

19. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I don't have install disks for PS, AW, and thats about all the ones I can't reinstall/have disks for.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just make sure that you back up both the User and Root Libraries, and good luck!

21. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I don't think I'm installing *yet*

I'll keep everyone updated. ;)

22. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Okay, Tiger's on... But... I have no Classic!

Help!