Tiger Compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sotied, Sep 1, 2005.

1. sotied macrumors regular

OK. Tiger has been out for a little bit now and I'm getting ready to adopt it.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a list of compatible (or non-compatible) applications?

I've got a bunch of Classic and OS X native apps that I don't want to have to upgrade or lose just by going to Tiger.

Examples include: Filemaker (for both Classic and OS X), Quark 6, Quark 4.11, Adobe CS, Office X, Quicken.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. sotied thread starter macrumors regular

Also - another quickie

Another quick question.

If you've got tips on upgrading, let me know. I've got two G4 machines - a Dual 867 tower and a 1.27 iBook.

Am I better off buying the whole family pack or just buying a single user and leaving one machine at 10.39?

Oh, yeah. I also have DreamWeaver on my current machine.

Thanks,

Jeff

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

MacInTouch has something of a list, and if you look up the app on VersionTracker, most say if they've been updated for compatibility.

That said, other than system utilities and modifications, there's really not much that isn't compatible with Tiger that I've seen. As far as Classic apps go, if they run under 10.3, they'll run under 10.4--nothing has changed so far as I know. Otherwise, you can look it up, but everything you mentioned runs fine under Tiger and I wouldn't worry too much..

That's obviously up to you and how much you think you'll enjoy Tiger. If it turns out you love Spotlight, Dashboard, or something else about Tiger you might end up upgrading both, in which case the family pack would save you a bit of money.

Keeping one machine on 10.3.9 could give you a fallback if it turns out Tiger doesn't work the way you expect, but on the other hand if it's worth upgrading at all, why wouldn't it be worth upgrading both computers?

I will say that if you do only do one, I'd do the iBook, mainly because on the latop I've seen running Tiger it seems to add a few nice little touches to the Energy options.