Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
That is the old System Preferences pane the Spotlight page is showing (with a spotlight search field added).

This is the new one.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
It does support classic, that machine doesn't have classic installed on it. The one where Spotlight is shown (the link I gave) has classic installed on it.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I can't speak for Tiger of course, but Jaguar and Panther both display the Classic icon even if it's not installed.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Not that I use Classic at all... but it's installed. I suppose Apple will have to move away from it one day, but is it really that much of a problem to include an emulator?

The comment about "what ppl can see" can't be true because if you look at the second link, the apple site one, it has "Ink" prefs.. which only are seen with wacom tablet in. That means to me that apple has listed ALL the sys prefs you're likely to see... so where's classic? Oh well.

It will be greatly missed. RIP Classic

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
SpaceMagic said:
Not that I use Classic at all... but it's installed. I suppose Apple will have to move away from it one day, but is it really that much of a problem to include an emulator?

The comment about "what ppl can see" can't be true because if you look at the second link, the apple site one, it has "Ink" prefs.. which only are seen with wacom tablet in. That means to me that apple has listed ALL the sys prefs you're likely to see... so where's classic? Oh well.

It will be greatly missed. RIP Classic

Thats just it, classic has to be installed before you can see it.
EDIT: Changed question

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
slooksterPSV said:
EDIT: Changed question

Not in panther it doesn't... it appears whatever. and just says you haven't got a classic system available

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
slooksterPSV said:

I upgraded from Panther to Tiger, and the Classic icon was present, even though Classic wasn't installed. I just clean installed Tiger (blank HD) and now there's no Classic icon.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Nermal said:
I upgraded from Panther to Tiger, and the Classic icon was present, even though Classic wasn't installed. I just clean installed Tiger (blank HD) and now there's no Classic icon.
Does that mean that Classic (or more importantly OS 9) is not included on the Tiger install DVD...? Do I have to dig up my old 9.2 CD, from wherever that is, if I want Classic support, when I do a clean install...?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hey....

Get over it. Classic is very old technology...maybe it's time to let it DIE.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
appleretailguy said:
Get over it. Classic is very old technology...maybe it's time to let it DIE.
Unless you want to play Deus Ex or Diablo or Baldur's Gate or some other extra-old game (I like old games!)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I found this in the Tiger help:

I don't see the Classic pane in System Preferences
The Classic preference pane is available in System Preferences only if a Mac OS 9 System Folder is installed on your computer, or if you have already run a Classic application on your computer.

After you install a Mac OS 9 System Folder, the Classic preference pane is available the next time you open System Preferences.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Does that mean that Classic (or more importantly OS 9) is not included on the Tiger install DVD...? Do I have to dig up my old 9.2 CD, from wherever that is, if I want Classic support, when I do a clean install...?
The last time that Apple included MacOS 9 in the box with MacOS X was when it shipped MacOS 9.2.1 with MacOS X 10.1. Neither MacOS X 10.2 nor 10.3 shipped with MacOS 9. It was not required to provide the Classic environment. Every new Mac ships with MacOS 9, either preinstalled or on the System Restore disk. Every old MacOS 9-compatible Mac already has it.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
MisterMe said:
The last time that Apple included MacOS 9 in the box with MacOS X was when it shipped MacOS 9.2.1 with MacOS X 10.1. Neither MacOS X 10.2 nor 10.3 shipped with MacOS 9. It was not required to provide the Classic environment. Every new Mac ships with MacOS 9, either preinstalled or on the System Restore disk. Every old MacOS 9-compatible Mac already has it.
Thanks... is't not a big problem as I have the disks that came with my iBook... somewhere...

When I upgraded my Pismo to 10.2 I already had OS 9 on it, and my iBook came with 10.3 and OS 9.2 disks... and since I wanted to do a clean install when my Family Pack arrives, I just needed to know if I had to dig out the old disks or if new ones were provided... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.