Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
This article at AnAndTech states that Tiger will have better GUI acceleration, and UI elements will be GPU rendered instead of CPU rendered (MUCH greater speed for AGP users)

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2313&p=4

Is this true? And how is it coming along in Tiger betas? No one else seems to have mentioned this.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
It's true. It's the whole CoreImage thing, mostly. Better visual effects, and less cpu cycles being used... It's not really anything earth-shaking though (As far as the GUI is concerned).

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Chaszmyr said:
It's true. It's the whole CoreImage thing, mostly. Better visual effects, and less cpu cycles being used... It's not really anything earth-shaking though (As far as the GUI is concerned).

I agree, but anything that helps make thing faster is always good even though it is not much ;) :p

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Will this mean GPUs run hotter? My PowerBook's GPU runs fairly hot as-is (55 degrees Celsius currently) and it can spike up to 64 degrees Celsius.

Will it get hotter because it is doing more work?

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Damn.......another reason why Apple needs to put decent video cards in ALL of their Macs.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I hope Apple finally gets the picture and either allows for different graphics cards in their computers other than the Power Mac, or doesn't use the NVIDIA 5200 in everything.....

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Freg3000 said:
I hope Apple finally gets the picture and either allows for different graphics cards in their computers other than the Power Mac, or doesn't use the NVIDIA 5200 in everything.....

Apple doesn't stop "other" graphics cards from being installed, its up to the card maker to make a card for the mac.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
jane doe said:
Apple doesn't stop "other" graphics cards from being installed, its up to the card maker to make a card for the mac.

Ok, so tell me when you want to upgrade my iMac G5's graphics card or my Mom's eMac. I'll pay any price.

Apple does stop other graphic cards from being installed since they solder the cards onto the motherboard. It's not that i don't understand why they do this (they have to engineer the motherboard so that it mets certain unique dimensions-like the iMac) but it is nevertheless frustrating.

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Freg3000 said:
Ok, so tell me when you want to upgrade my iMac G5's graphics card or my Mom's eMac. I'll pay any price.

Apple does stop other graphic cards from being installed since they solder the cards onto the motherboard. It's not that i don't understand why they do this (they have to engineer the motherboard so that it mets certain unique dimensions-like the iMac) but it is nevertheless frustrating.

You hit the point, Apple designs the logic boards for certain machines. These are also lower-end, consumer computers. You can swap out the graphics card anytime you want in a G4 or G5 tower. You can also do this in the Xserve to some degree.

Its up to the card makers, to WANT to make a card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.