tiger has landed, installation advice time!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rowanhall, Apr 29, 2005.

1. rowanhall macrumors member

Right, so the tnt delivery guy arrived at my house in unusually sunny belfast 45mins ago with tiger! opened it up, had a quick look at the box, (i shall marvel at the packaging and paperwork later on! haha) took the disc and went straight up to my iMac.

i started thinking...

the first problem is that i don't have a firewire drive! and may copy some important stuff over to the pc (boooo hissss), is this advised?

secondly, as my mac is still pretty clean, (been a convert for 6mths now) and this is the first major mac install i have done i was thinking about using the upgrade feature! but i have some questions... will i lose anything at all? i'm assuming it wont tamper with my home folder where i assume my mail and address book dbs are kept?

should i get a fwd and use ccc to back it the systemdisc up? if this goes wrong is it easy to reinstall?

i'm assuming all will go swimmingly if i push upgrade! :)

Rowan

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I just put the DVD in and followed the prompts and it was as seamless as you can imagine - a matter of going for a jog and coming back to the registration page and then Tiger which had all of my settings and files exactly as I'd left them in Panther.

I still recommend putting your stuff on the PC too, just in case.

Good luck and have fun.

3. marknicholls macrumors 6502

My copy has just been ordered for saturday delivery, i assume a total clean and install will be better rather than an upgrade? should that speed things up a little? i have noticed my mac has been running a little slow of late

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, my iBook was getting a bit slow too but I didn't bother archiving and installing and it's still much faster. I can't see there's all that much of a difference between a standard install and an archive other than Apple keeping a copy of your system folder. I could be wrong though. I've got enough faith in Apple to upgrade my system with no troubles, and they did. :D

5. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Interesting, that yours should be delivered to unusally sunny Belfast whilst mine is delivered to unusually snowy Denver. Anyhow, I just finished installing (I did the simple upgrade) and everything is working extremely well. The only thing I had to do was take Sherlock out of my dock; with Dashboard I've no need for the former.

Loving it so far! The new Mail.app rocks!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, the first time I used it I looked pretty similar to Bill in your 'tar. It's great, pretty fast too.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Search! There was a good thread [by me :) ] a few days ago on this.
    Edit: Linkety

A chance of that link getting stickied (spelling?) at least temporarily?

8. rowanhall thread starter macrumors member

i just backed up and used upgrade! cheers for the advice mac peeps!

is tiger amazing or what! its given the machine a speed kick, way more smooth also!

the install was soo stressless and seamless! a complete credit to apple there!

finding new features and subtilties every so often!

a definite worthwhile update!

roll on new widgets!

cheers!

Rowan