Tiger iChat... auto-sign-off?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benguild, May 11, 2005.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

Whenever I leave my computer now it automatically signs me of AIM in iChat. This sucks! (it's like instead of automatically putting up an away message, it just logs me out)

It also doesn't seem to let me sign-on on multiple computers at the same time anymore.

Have these issues been addressed already or is it just me?

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

i havent used it enough to notice the auto signoff thing..

but i did report the inability to sign on to multiple computers and it was deemed "duplicate" so it seems it's a widespread issue.

3. lordmac macrumors regular

I believe the signing on, on multiple computers it not ichat but the aim servers doing it as the sam thing happens when you sign on with aim for mac and then a aim for pc on a pc for example.
    :rolleyes:

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

it works fine when i login using adium on my powerbook or on aim on my windows machine when i'm already signed on in trillian pro.

5. lordmac macrumors regular

Huh, well over the last day or too i tried all the combos of aim clients to to be able to be signed on on the same time it had that problem with them all. OF course I never used trillian. I used combos of aim for mac, ichat, aim for pc, and an aim beta for pc. using a pc and my powerbook the whole time so i just assumed it had to be the aim servers. :rolleyes:

6. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

yea i went through all the possibilities before i went and posted the bug report. it's pretty disappointing because i usually leave my machine on at home, then when i goto class i can login and see what's up with a friend before heading home or something. it's a big convience.

7. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

overall I'm disappointed with ichat in tiger... especially since you can't use HTML in your profile. that sucks.

8. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

outta curiousity, how old are you?

and this is no punch at you or anything. but it seems as though the html profile end of things typically finds it's biggest use in teenagers who feel the need to put lots of pretty colors and useless garbage in their profiles. i for one hate html profiles simply because of this. they can also put links in your profile that contain links to spyware or viruses and other malacious things.

i've grown out of all the stupid garbage in profiles, i put a couple of links, one to my webpage, the other to my del.icio.us links and call it a day, they can get any kind of info they want on me from there.

i'd rather iChat stick to doing chatting best rather than all the other stuff. Trillian for example has become so bloated i have a hard time finding settings anymore. keeping the options down in iChat has kept me using it. granted there are still a few i too would like to see in it.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

For some reason, when iChat is open, I get randomly disconnected from AIM when I'm away from my Mac. Even if I'm nearby I still get randomly disconnected. I've never tried multiple simultaneous logins though.

10. benmc macrumors newbie

I am having exactly the same issue. Anyone got an idea what is causing it?

Ben

11. Diomedes macrumors 6502

I was just about to post the same issue. When Adium logs on, it informs me I am logged on my PC and my phone, but doesn't disconnect me. If I launch iChat, it disconnects me from ALL my other sessions, which is really annoying.

I tried it with Adium and the Mac AIM client, and it keeps me logged on. This is a real limitation in iChat. Oh well, I guess my iSight will collect dust for a little while longer...

12. mms macrumors 6502a

benmc and wrldwzrd89 - Have you tried using Adium or some other client? IF you see the same problems then you know that it's probably either your connection or an AIM server thing. If it stops, then we know for sure that it's an iChat issue.

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've used Adium in the past, but don't really have a use for it now. I've never left Adium connected to AIM long enough to test this.

14. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I leave iChat on all day and never get disconnected. A few years ago, when I had a bad DSL modem, I started to see things like that. You may want to call your ISP, as it may be a connection problem.

15. benmc macrumors newbie

I have tried Adium and it works well

iChat still keeps disconnecting me

Error Message is

"Lost Connection with AIM"
    "The connection to the host was unexpectedly lost"

Any ideas?

ben