Tiger iChat is beginning to get on my nerves...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JeDiBoYTJ, May 2, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    then new iChat has really begun to annoy me since I have upgraded to tiger. Audio chatting with my friend who has a slower G4 just leads to an "insufficient bandwidth" message, and if I try to video, the audio doesnt work. Also, when I video chat with windows AIM users, the quality is horrible. On Panther it was very clear and nice, but now its all garbled, and it must be running at 1 FPS. AND, I can't send requests for video chats to AIM users, only they can start one... very annoying. All my ports are forwarded and everything is fine. Is there anyway to just use the old codec or something? I dont like how Apple is *forcing* upon us "H.264", it seems to be causing more problems than anything for G4 users...

I'm about to just roll back to Panther until these issues are fixed...
  2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    One would think 10.4.1 would fix these issues, hopefully it'll be released within in the next few weeks.
  3. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    I had a thread a day or two ago asking if anyone had tried using Tiger to video chat with Windows AIM users and no one responded. Thank you very much for this information about iChat. I know now that I won't be upgrading until these problems are worked out.
  4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    If you need things like video and audio chat, I don't really have a solution for you. If you're willing to try something new, i really reccommend Adium (www.adiumx.com).
  5. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2004
    I CHAT EVERY DAY WITH PC AIM USERS, no problem at all.
    But my PB 17 1.5 doesnt work anymore with ichat (tiger), i just doesnt connect to video conferencing, it's very annoying.