Tiger, iLife 5, & Mac mini upgrade path idea

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2003
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #1
    Had an idea that makes the Mac mini an interesting way for getting Tiger and iLife 5, and a cheaper Mac mini to boot!

    At retail Tiger and iLife would cost $208 (EDU $128) to upgrade a current Mac.

    Because of the Setup Assistant, you can transfer programs and such to the Mac mini.

    So if you were to wait till Tiger is released, and get the Mac mini with Tiger and iLife 5, one could take lets say their PB and transfer programs over to the Mac mini. You then could use Carbon Copy Cloner to "restore" back to the PB the updated Tiger and iLife 5.

    So depending on needs the costs break down to:

    Mac Mini @ $499
    Minus upgrades $208
    Final mini cost $291

    Of course adding things like RAM upgrades, AE and the such would raise the final totals. And the EDU savings would be less.


    Anything I am missing with this thought?
     
  2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

    SilentPanda

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2002
    Location:
    The Bamboo Forest
    #2
    I think technically even though the Mac Mini would come with Tiger and iLife 05 you'd still need to purchase them for your Powerbook.

    I too had contemplated this but... I already get Tiger for free (Student Dev program) and I went ahead and bought iWork and iLife ($108 total) sooo...
     
  3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

    Duff-Man

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2002
    Location:
    Albuquerque, NM
    #3
    Duff-Man says....yes....the license agreement for those programs......your idea is a violation of the agreement.....oh yeah!
     
  4. yippy macrumors 68020

    yippy

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #4
    As a student developer we get Tiger for free? When I signed up I had no idea about this, then they sent me Panther, but I still can't find anywhere in the description that we get the current OS free, where is it?
     
  5. blackfox macrumors 65816

    blackfox

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2003
    Location:
    PDX
    #5
    Personally I am waiting for Tiger to be released to buy a MacMini, because I look at it as a substantial savings. I never bought Panther for my current machines, so I'd like to have a machine with all the latest software bells-and-whistles. Besides, I hope the MacMini has had a second revision by then with an improved (pixel-shading) GPU.

    If I am feeling less-than-honest, I may use your idea chip to share the wealth as it were...
     
  6. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2003
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #6
    Thanks for the heads up guys. But then one could always do an external drive backup and boot of that, and still be in compliance right?
     
  7. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #7
    You could also hope the Steve will offer another Tiger release party. When purchasing Tiger, then CPU, hardware, and software are 10% off. At least that was the case with Panther. It might be a while before the Mac Mini would come pre-installed with Tiger.
     
  8. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2003
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #8
    I doubt that the Mac mini would get the 10% off. And I assume that a BTO mini after the Tiger release would have it installed.
     
  9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

    mrgreen4242

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    #9
    Well, you could probably put Tiger and iLife '05 onto your PB or iMac or whatver it is you currently have, and then put Panther and '04 onto the Mini, and then either sell it or use it for a second computer or whatever.

    Since none of the iLife or OS lisences are upgrade only, your new AND old Tiger and iLife license would be valid on a single machine each. Should be both technically, legally, and ethically doable.

    Rob
     
  10. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #10
    There was any limitation on the CPU discount at the Panther release. So I would be surprised if Steve would limit it this year. Having Tiger pre-installed would be a matter of timing.
     

Share This Page